IAC Board

Julliard ,New York

MarijaL

Good Afternoon, I am writing on behalf of a friend whose daughter is currently studying music (Piano) in Kragujevac. She is 15 years old but is already in her second year (Srednja skola) and is an extremely talented pianist. I appreciate that she has a couple of years until applying to university but I thought that I would sound out some opportunities in the US for her.

I found details of Julliard on the internet and it seems a wonderful place to study music and was therefore wondering whether you have any dealings with this university. My friend is not in a financial position to pay for tuition so I need some advice on how a scholarship could be obtained.

I learnt of your site from a very nice lady called Elizabeth who was very helpful in providing information on the sort of information and support that you offer to perspective students.

Many thanks in advance

MarijaL

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Marija,

First I would like to apologize for taking some long to respond - I have had a laptop crash and it has taken me awhile to get back in the loop. I remember meeting you. Okay Juilliard - it is indeed a wonderful school for the arts and I believe that most students of the performing arts would seriously consider having Julliard on their list of schools. It is important that students in need of financial aid apply to several schools and to be absolutely certain that each of these schools offer financial aid to international students. Also while Juilliard is really well know - there are other schools that are extraordinary, but not quite so name brand to the general public as Juilliard. One example is the music conservatory at Oberlin. This conservatory has one of the largest collections of Steinway pianos in the world. Lynn University also has a great music program. All of these schools offer financial assistance to international students. There are most likely so many more conservatories out there for consideration. Also 15 is certainly not too early to start the process - in fact, this is exactly the time that many people in the USA begin bringing their children into the process. For students that need a generous financial aid package, the earlier the better - it provides enough time for test preparation and also for strategic planning.

What I would recommend is that the young lady attend an undergraduate advising session at our center. There is no huge rush to do this and it can even be done in the summer. This gives a detailed overview of the process and introduces students to a wide range of resources that can be of great help. The session is free and students only need to call our office at 334 5227, learn the date of the next session, and sign up to attend.

Also we have an IAC friend who attended undergraduate studies in piano at Oberlin and graduate studies at Juilliard. We may have the opportunity to host a talk on music education in the USA and this sounds like something that this young lady would benefit from. In the meantime, you can explore information on Oberlin and Lynn and start to get a feel for the various music programs and what they have to offer.

Best regards,

Elz

Good Afternoon, I am writing on behalf of a friend whose daughter is currently studying music (Piano) in Kragujevac. She is 15 years old but is already in her second year (Srednja skola) and is an extremely talented pianist. I appreciate that she has a couple of years until applying to university but I thought that I would sound out some opportunities in the US for her.

I found details of Julliard on the internet and it seems a wonderful place to study music and was therefore wondering whether you have any dealings with this university. My friend is not in a financial position to pay for tuition so I need some advice on how a scholarship could be obtained.

I learnt of your site from a very nice lady called Elizabeth who was very helpful in providing information on the sort of information and support that you offer to perspective students.

Many thanks in advance

MarijaL

• 2 years later...
Guest Luka93

Hi, my name is Luka and I'm 16 years old. I've read the post you wrote about applying to Juilliard and I was very interested. But, my type of art is not music - it's dance. So, I would be very thankful if you could give me some tips on how to prepare and what are the tests I have to take. Of course, I would like to know all the necessary things before I apply, since it is a very prestigeous college. I'm giving my e-mail address to you so you could eventually write me all the things I have to do : lukabaletskistudioidea@gmail.com

Thank you for your help!

Luka, Obrenovac