IAC Board

Pitanje vezano za zvanje : jesmo li master-i ili bachelor-i?

Onom ko ikako moze da mi (nam) pomogne :

Molio bih nekog od savetnika,administratora ili nekog treceg da mi odgovori ukoliko raspolaze bilo kakvim informacijama vezanim za ovu temu : kako univerziteti u USA priznaju diplomu sa cetvorogodisnjih studija u Srbiji (SCG,SR Jugoslaviji) - kao diplomu master-a ili bachelor-a?Ovo mi je jako bitno,a mislim i mnogim drugima jer zelim da nastavim skolovanje u Americi,a kako kod nas problem nije zvanicno i konacno resen te svaka grupa na svakom fakultetu ima drugaciju informaciju molim za pomoc.....Hvala

To Whom It May Concern

(or should I say to all of those (anyone) who can help me (us) :

I would like to ask anyone from the advisors, administrators or anyone in general to give me any kind of information on this subject : how is four year college degree got here in Serbia (Serbia and Montenegro, Yugoslavia) treated in USA ,as bachelor?s or master?s degree? This is very important to me (and I believe to many others as well) because I would like to continue my schooling in USA and as we here still don?t have final and official answer on this question I would like to have an information on what does my diploma mean in US educational system. Thank you?..

To Whom It May Concern

(or should I say to all of those (anyone) who can help me (us) :

I would like to ask anyone from the advisors, administrators or anyone in general to give me any kind of information on this subject : how is four year college degree got here in Serbia (Serbia and Montenegro, Yugoslavia) treated in USA ,as bachelor?s or master?s degree? This is very important to me (and I believe to many others as well) because I would like to continue my schooling in USA and as we here still don?t have final and official answer on this question I would like to have an information on what does my diploma mean in US educational system. Thank you?..

Hi, the answer to your question is very simple: if you have a four year degree (diplomirani...whatever) your degree is equivalent to the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.).

Your degree is NOT equivalent to an M.A. and will not be recognized in the US as such.

Don't be fooled by the internal struggles in Serbia regarding the question of equivalence between old and new degrees, i.e. whether the people with old degrees will be considered equivalent to new "masters" under the Bologna Process.

Even if a decision is made in Serbia to treat the old "dilpomirani" degrees as equivalent to new "masters", this will most probably not affect the recognition of your degree in the US. I don't think anybody anywhere will recognize a four year degree as an M.A.

Good luck,

Sasha

Molio bih nekog od savetnika,administratora ili nekog treceg da mi odgovori ukoliko raspolaze bilo kakvim informacijama vezanim za ovu temu : kako univerziteti u USA priznaju diplomu sa cetvorogodisnjih studija u Srbiji (SCG,SR Jugoslaviji) - kao diplomu master-a ili bachelor-a?Ovo mi je jako bitno,a mislim i mnogim drugima jer zelim da nastavim skolovanje u Americi,a kako kod nas problem nije zvanicno i konacno resen te svaka grupa na svakom fakultetu ima drugaciju informaciju molim za pomoc.....Hvala

Vladimire, evo da ti odgovorim i na srpskom (prvo sam video engleski post). Nismo masteri.

Dakle, ako imas zvanje "diplomirani" i zavrsio si cetvorogdisnji fakultet onda si B.A.

To sto se mi ovde koljemo oko toga da li ce se napraviti ekvivalencija izmedju starih diplomiranih studenata i novih "mastera" je posebno pitanje.

Cak i ako se odluci da se svi "diplomirani" proglase za "mastere" (sto je krajnje neizvesno) sumnjam da ce to Amerikance mnogo potresti.

Prosto mi je tesko da poverujem da ce bilo ko na svetu da ti prizna cetvorogodisnju diplomu kao M.A.

Cim pogledaju koliko su ti trajale studije, odmah ce im biti jasno o cemu se radi. Dakle, u principu, za njih je cetiri godine = B.A. a mi mozemo to da zovemo "master" "doktorat" ili "riblja corba", sasvim je svejedno.

Dakle, definitivno B.A.

Srecno,

Sasa

As always Sasa, thanks for the response, especially on this little hot potato. There is an article that was reprinted in "Business Week" on these topics:

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/cont...htm?chan=search

I fear it does not paint a very flattering picture and I honestly feel that the education system here is quite good in many aspects, much like any education system it has its strengths and weaknesses. I think about these issues quite often as I am confronted with them each day. It seems to me that the Serbian and US education systems are highly complimentary. However, the Bologna issue as discussed in this article seems "spot on"- or at least the view from outside of the country. It is important for those inside the country to look at external perceptions of the Bologna process as it occurs within Serbia, especially since the entire point of the process is to create academic mobility.

Elz

As always Sasa, thanks for the response, especially on this little hot potato. There is an article that was reprinted in "Business Week" on these topics:

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/cont...htm?chan=search

I fear it does not paint a very flattering picture and I honestly feel that the education system here is quite good in many aspects, much like any education system it has its strengths and weaknesses. I think about these issues quite often as I am confronted with them each day. It seems to me that the Serbian and US education systems are highly complimentary. However, the Bologna issue as discussed in this article seems "spot on"- or at least the view from outside of the country. It is important for those inside the country to look at external perceptions of the Bologna process as it occurs within Serbia, especially since the entire point of the process is to create academic mobility.

Elz

Hi everyone, just to follow up on the discussion regarding the diplomirani/master issue.

As the article Elz posted clearly shows, playing games with degrees and academic titles can really hurt the credibility of Serbia's higher education.

I mean you don't just award a higher degree to several hundred thousand people, because, huh, the new studies might turn out to be easier than the old ones.

I actually published an article arguing strongly against the equivalence of degrees. Here's the article. (sorry, it's in Serbian).

Anyway, the admissions offices of US universities know educational systems of other countries very well, and what they are interested in is the number of years of study you have completed, not in the name of your degree. And what they usually require for entering graduate school is a completion of total of 4 years of college education. In recent years this has changed somewhat, because they are sometimes willing to consider the three year Bologna degrees as equivalent to the US B.A. But this is not a universal practice, it apparently goes only for degrees from certain countries, and is still a highly contentious issue (Americans are apparently having a hard time evaluating some Bologna degrees, so having the old non-Bologna degree might actually be an advantage).

But perhaps most importantly, the US graduate education functions in such a way that the question of whether you're a B.A. or an M.A. isn't crucial. In general you enter graduate school with a four year B.A. M.A. is seldom required to enter graduate school, and even if you have a real M.A. (I had one when I applied) it doesn't help too much, because you still have to complete the five-year graduate program pretty much in the same way as a student with a B.A. The only benefit is that you might get credit for some courses, so you might be able to make your studies shorter for a semester at best, but that's it.

The bottom line is, there is no point going out of your way thinking whether your degree is a B.A. or M.A. when all they require for admission is, in principle, a B.A.

Sasha