IAC Board

Master of Architecture

zindi

Hi everyone!

My name is Milena Zindovic and I will be starting post-professional master in architecture (MArch 2) at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY this fall. I didn't get a full scholarship, but the school is covering the tuition and some living expenses, and me and my family are supplying the rest.

I'm still in Belgrade, but I'm leaving for USA in 2 months to start the program, so I can't give you any advice on college life yet. However, I did go through the whole application process, GRE and TOEFL exams, with a big help from Elizabeth and the people from IAC , so if you have any questions on that part, ask away! :)

• 4 months later...

Hi ! I'm Natalija... and i have a lot of questions for you :blink: And I really hope that you'll see this message...

I would be so thankfull to you if you'll find a time to answer me....

I'm on second year of masters studies of architecture in Belgrade, and should finish it until the end of the following summer...

1. I'm realy intrested how you decided on which university to apply ?

2. How mauch time you needed to prepare all those tests?

3. Did you have a good average grade?

4. How you succeeded to get a scholarship?

5. Do you know anything about ours bachelor and master degrees? Are they valid in Usa?

I have many more questions but don't want to bother you right away..... ;)

Thank you so much !!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ! I'm Natalija... and i have a lot of questions for you :) And I really hope that you'll see this message...

I would be so thankfull to you if you'll find a time to answer me....

I'm on second year of masters studies of architecture in Belgrade, and should finish it until the end of the following summer...

1. I'm realy intrested how you decided on which university to apply ?

2. How mauch time you needed to prepare all those tests?

3. Did you have a good average grade?

4. How you succeeded to get a scholarship?

5. Do you know anything about ours bachelor and master degrees? Are they valid in Usa?

I have many more questions but don't want to bother you right away..... :)

Thank you so much !!!!

Cao Natalija :)

I'll try to answer your questions as well as I can.

For school searching, Internet is your best friend. If you already know a topic or an area of interest you would like to pursue further, than it only makes it easier. But, I'm had only a vague idea of the area of my further studies, but still managed to chose 6 schools that I felt would be good for me. There are all kinds of criteria to take into consideration: academics, fundung opportunities, locations, prestige, school's professional network... Also you can ask people advice, and I am here to give you some when you get deeper into school searching...

I prepared at IAC, for GRE 3 months, and after that TOEFL is a breeze :)

My average grade was 8.71 - not perfect, but it got me here :) you should know that you GPA is not the only admission criteria, and of course you are aware of the importance of the portfolio in our profession

Scholarships in USA are usually given by the school, and at the graduate level most or all student get some financial aid. However, the amount can differ. My advice is to make this criteria high-up on your list when searching for schools. Also, PhD students get more funding more easily than Master students.

To obtain a Bachelor in Architecture in the USA usually takes 5 years, so our Master, or old 5-year degree is here considered to be a professional Bachelor. However, there are no limitations regarding the programs you can apply to: you can choose a professional Master, a post-professional Master (which is what I'm doing) or a PhD...

Hope this helps. All the best!