IAC Board

Need help...

Ivana23

Dear,

I have been appointed by a friend that this is a right place to start my scholarship search; actually he recommended contacting Elizabeth Chung and asking her for help. I really hope you can at least show me the way I need to look at things, since I am getting kind of desperate.

Last year I received a leadership scholarship sponsored by United States Department, to spend one year in American High School; originally I am from Serbia, Novi Sad. I came to United States with a J-1 visa, managed to finish High School early, and apply for one of the States Universities (ASU, to be exact). The only problem is that I did not plan to stay in America at the beginning- so I applied really late, and got accepted pretty recently. As being an exchange student, my tuition is quite high (around $30000) and Universities do not give tuition wavers to International/exchange students. I have a 4.00 GPA, lots of diplomas from mathematical competitions mostly state level (Republicka takmicenja), SAT and TOEFL done... I do not want to give up on my dreams, and that is to continue my education in America. I worked really hard all my life and I am ready to put up a fight in order to realize my plans, and finish my undergraduate studies at pre med Arizona State University... I would highly appreciate if you have any suggestions, and thank you in advanced for your time.

Sincerely yours,

Ivana

Dear Ivana,

First it sounds like you have accomplished a great deal and a warm congratulations for that. One of our greatest challenges is working with students that go to the US and realize that they want to attend college; we are trying to prepare them before they go, but it is still hard to catch many of them before they take off.

Arizona State is a great school, however as you now realize, any international undergraduate student that is not eligible for a sports scholarship will need to self-finance. There are, however, other schools that offer substantial financial aid to international undergraduate students. It sounds as if you would be a good candidate for one of these schools. We have quite a few students that have been in your position and taken the British-style gap year in order to find a school that will provide financial aid. We suggest the gap year because it is also difficult for a transfer student to find financial aid as well.

In the meantime, I will contact an alum who has had an experience much like yours and ask him to post about his experience.

Elz

Dear,

I have been appointed by a friend that this is a right place to start my scholarship search; actually he recommended contacting Elizabeth Chung and asking her for help. I really hope you can at least show me the way I need to look at things, since I am getting kind of desperate.

Last year I received a leadership scholarship sponsored by United States Department, to spend one year in American High School; originally I am from Serbia, Novi Sad. I came to United States with a J-1 visa, managed to finish High School early, and apply for one of the States Universities (ASU, to be exact). The only problem is that I did not plan to stay in America at the beginning- so I applied really late, and got accepted pretty recently. As being an exchange student, my tuition is quite high (around $30000) and Universities do not give tuition wavers to International/exchange students. I have a 4.00 GPA, lots of diplomas from mathematical competitions mostly state level (Republicka takmicenja), SAT and TOEFL done... I do not want to give up on my dreams, and that is to continue my education in America. I worked really hard all my life and I am ready to put up a fight in order to realize my plans, and finish my undergraduate studies at pre med Arizona State University... I would highly appreciate if you have any suggestions, and thank you in advanced for your time.

Sincerely yours,

Ivana

Dear Ivana,

First it sounds like you have accomplished a great deal and a warm congratulations for that. One of our greatest challenges is working with students that go to the US and realize that they want to attend college; we are trying to prepare them before they go, but it is still hard to catch many of them before they take off.

Arizona State is a great school, however as you now realize, any international undergraduate student that is not eligible for a sports scholarship will need to self-finance. There are, however, other schools that offer substantial financial aid to international undergraduate students. It sounds as if you would be a good candidate for one of these schools. We have quite a few students that have been in your position and taken the British-style gap year in order to find a school that will provide financial aid. We suggest the gap year because it is also difficult for a transfer student to find financial aid as well.

In the meantime, I will contact an alum who has had an experience much like yours and ask him to post about his experience.

Elz

Dear Elizabeth,

Is there any way i can contact you beside this forum? I really did work hard to get this, and i also got accepted into Barrett, the Honors College at ASU, and even though making a gap as you suggested is probably the right thing to do, i am finding it really hard to let go, especially after all the hard work that i have done. The good thing is that apparently Barrett offers money for International students also, but since i got accepted recently, they cannot give any money for my fresman year. I really want to continue my education from this Fall 2008. Is it possible to get a sports scholarship from a sophomore year?

Thabk you for your time and patience!

Ivana

Dear Ivana,

We have free information sessions at our center and you can call to see when the next one is scheduled. I am out of the office at this time and do not have access to the schedule. I believe that the best thing that you can do at this point is to contact Barrett and ask them about financial aid or a sports scholarship for the next year.

You are absolutely right in that you have a very good opportunity in front of you. You need to carefully consider this option. I believe that a well thought out and carefully planned letter to your contact in the admission office at Barrett could prove quite helpful. I suggest that you include the following information:

Thank them for the admission to Barrett. Tell them that financing your education is going to be very challenging. Then ask them what financial aid possibilities including sport scholarships you might be able to apply for to cover your second year of school.

At this stage of the process, this is the best advice that we can offer you. I wish that we had been able to work with you sooner. We have very good luck with students that we work with prior to their going to the US for high school, and of course students that work with us during their third year of high school are very well prepared and successful in the admission process. However, at this stage and with your pretty well locked in on Barrett, your options and opportunities are quite dependent upon what they are able to offer you. We are in the planning phase for a news letter for students that are already attending a US institution and this will include funding opportunities that are for international students currently enrolled; that may be helpful in your situation. The career center in the school is also a very good place to look for opportunities.

I hope some of this information helps you.

Elz

Dear Elizabeth,

Is there any way i can contact you beside this forum? I really did work hard to get this, and i also got accepted into Barrett, the Honors College at ASU, and even though making a gap as you suggested is probably the right thing to do, i am finding it really hard to let go, especially after all the hard work that i have done. The good thing is that apparently Barrett offers money for International students also, but since i got accepted recently, they cannot give any money for my fresman year. I really want to continue my education from this Fall 2008. Is it possible to get a sports scholarship from a sophomore year?

Thabk you for your time and patience!

Ivana