IAC Board

Repeated question

gile

Im interested in MS full based program on one of the following Universities: CMU, MIT, UCLA, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, etc.

Curently, I am not sure if I can to pursuit directly the MBA program, or it will be better if I take technical based MS first (such as http://www.ini.cmu.edu/academics/MSISTM/index.htm).

My main goal is to achieve an MBA degree, but I don?t know is there a full schoolarship or a fellowship for MBA.

Can You please tell me is there an full schoolarship or a fellowship for MBA, or if ther is not, how can I acquire the same for CMU (http://www.ini.cmu.edu/academics/MSISTM/index.htm)?

I have a bachelor degree in Computer Science focused on Information Systems (www.bbs.edu.yu), and by the end of the year I will obtain two more degrees (Bachelor of Computer Science in E-business, and bachelor of CS in Programming). My CV or resume is available at request.

Dear Gile,

First please excuse having to repeat your question to us. You were in the living and studying in the USA section, so I missed this question. First of all, the universities that you are considering are very competitive and it is quite difficult to get financial aid for an MBA program. That said, it does not mean that you cannot explore that option. However, you might want to think about other possibilities. In general there are different types of Business degrees. You can have a MSc in Business, an MA in Business, or an MBA. You can also pursue PhD studies in Business. The sticking point with the MBA is that so many people are after it that many universities do not "trouble" themselves with offering scholarships. Often it is easier to get funding for PhD studies because there is a strong mutual committment between you and the university. For example, you might want to look at http://business.tepper.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=141669.

This would be a good place to start.

Do you live near Belgrade? I would recommend that you consider attending a group advising session if you have not already so that you can get a stronger picture of how you can shape your profile to get funding for your education.

I would point that your background in Computer Science puts you in a strong position as far as test scores and other items. If you have been to one of our advising sessions, I should have some paperwork on you somewhere and I could look at this offer you some guidance. You could certainly get into some graduate program that was based on your technical education or try for an MSc in Business or MA in Business or PhD studies in business. An MBA with a scholarship is not impossible, but most programs require that you have some work experience, plus the money for your education. If you wish to try for an MBA scholarship, it will require extensive research on your part to constantly look for possibilities.

I think that you should research for a program where your technical background will count for a great deal. It would be good if you came into the Center and compared the Masters programs in the technical sciences with something like a PhD in Business. Then when you had a list of specific programs that were of interest to you, we could assist you in the decision making process. You could then begin to contact some of the schools and see what they have to offer to you specifically.

Best regards,

Elizabeth

Dear Elizabeth,

first I would like to thank you for such a detailed answer.

In general, my plan is to crown my education with an MBA degree, but as I understood it will be almost impossible to get an MBA scholarship. Therefore I have to agree with you that it will be much more achievable if I take some technical based MS program, such as MSISTM at Carnegie Mellon (http://www.ini.cmu.edu/academics/index.htm), after which I can ask my employer to pay me an MBA. As far as I looked, an MBA is the most profitable of all business master degrees.

It is imperative to me to go on one of the elite universities I've mentioned in my last mail (CMU, MIT, UCLA?), because of their prestige. It is also very important that I have a full scholarship.

I'm planning to pay you a visit to acquire a stronger picture of possibilities I can get, but that will be my last step before I will be able to take the GRE and TOEFL tests. Since then I need some basics about what can and what can not to expect. I also need to know what I have to learn to prepare my self even better for further challenges.

Dear Gile,

I hope that you have downloaded the calendar for Study in the USA from our website. Actually visiting an advising center and attending a group advising session is one of the first things that you should do.

If you will check our website thoroughly, you will note that we are trained and certified to assist you as you search for universities. In addition, we have some very good resource material in our library, particulary about gaining admission. It would be most helpful if you attended an advising session and we could begin to assist you.

Best regards,

Elizabeth