IAC Board

Nastavak osnovnih studija u USA (Transfer polo?enih ispita)

marko

Mo?e li se dobiti neka informacija o tome da li se vi?e isplati ovde zavr?iti fakultet pa otići u USA na poslediplomske studije ili mo?da uraditi transfer ispita koji su ovde polo?eni pa tamo zavr?iti osnovne studije. Ako je ne?to od ove dve stvari bolje, voleo bih da znam i razloge, ako nije problem :D

Hvala unapred! :D

Dear Marko,

I will try to answer your question in as much detail as possible to help you get an understanding of the process. In the American University system the first two years of study are what is known as "core curriculum". This is the foundation of an American education and it consists of study of a variety of subjects outside the area of your major.

The first two years of a university education in America will generally consist of a broad survey of the Social Sciences, Humanities, Arts, Math, and Sciences. The point of this is to teach students about an integration of knowledge from a variety of subjects. It is designed to build problem solving skills, critical thinking, logic, a sense of ethics and responsibility-we describe this process as becoming a "Well-rounded" person. Much of this is to prepare students to explore the area of their major with a strong background in other areas of knowledge that can be applied to their area of specialization.

Because these courses, generally studied in the first two years of university education, are degree requirements, when you apply as a transfer student, the courses that you have completed thus far at another university are evaluated to see if they fit within these requirements. If you do not have courses on your transcripts that fit these requirements, you will need to take these courses at the university where you transfer.

When a student has progressed quite far in education at another institute, this can mean that the student has to take some courses that could extend the degree completion program quite a bit.

One thing that you can do is apply to the university or universities that you are interested in attending and see exactly how long it might take you to complete their degree requirements. Many universities will not allow you to transfer more than a certain number of courses to apply to your new degree program.

One of the best steps you can take is to visit the website of the university that you are interested in and visit the admissions pages. See exactly what the policy is on transfer students.

Often when a student is close to degree completion, it makes more sense to complete the degree and then apply for graduate studies. I hope that this information is helpful to you. If you have any further questions, please do follow up with them. Most likely I will ask that our webmaster move this discussion to a topic entitled "transfer students" because I feel that the questions you have asked are extremely good ones and that others could benefit from this discussion.