IAC Board

GRE Physics

Cyclonela

Hello,

I took GRE Physics on 4th of April and I have got results (called by phone) and it was 710 . Is it bad score or good score...? Ok , I suppose it's bad score for Cornell and other Ivy League Universities, but what about State ... Is it bad score for international student. I didn't have a lot of time to prepare it, just a month because it was take it or leave it ... and now when I have got the results, should I consider even applying in the US ...

Thanks and best regards

Hello,

I took GRE Physics on 4th of April and I have got results (called by phone) and it was 710 . Is it bad score or good score...? Ok , I suppose it's bad score for Cornell and other Ivy League Universities, but what about State ... Is it bad score for international student. I didn't have a lot of time to prepare it, just a month because it was take it or leave it ... and now when I have got the results, should I consider even applying in the US ...

Thanks and best regards

Well, let's hope the rest of your application looks good. It would be nice to try to prepare better and get higher scores, but we better consult our advisers on this one. Try to come to us for one of our regular free group advising sessions where our advisers can talk to you about your academic profile.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, let's hope the rest of your application looks good. It would be nice to try to prepare better and get higher scores, but we better consult our advisers on this one. Try to come to us for one of our regular free group advising sessions where our advisers can talk to you about your academic profile.

I found statistics on www.gradshoolshopper.com for physics, so it's not bad score.Top 30 Universities mostly need PGRE over 650-680, and other over 600, or 50% .

I found statistics on www.gradshoolshopper.com for physics, so it's not bad score.Top 30 Universities mostly need PGRE over 650-680, and other over 600, or 50% .

Just keep in mind that test scores are only one aspect of the application. In admission offices at both undergraduate and graduate level, the general philosophy is that good scores will not get you in, but bad scores can certainly keep you out.

The school will look at your overall application. One guideline for interpreting your test scores and their relevance in your application packet is to look at your percentile. This compares your test performance with other test takers. Naturally, the consideration of your score at each institution is going to be impacted by the scores of the other applicants. What if 1000 students apply to the department and nearly 60% of them have higher scores than you, will that shut you out? Not necessarily, if the other elements of your application are strong and you are a good fit for that department.

Graduate school admission, particularly accompanied by funding, is a competitive process. It not an entirely quantitative process. Schools tend to focus a great deal of attention on personal statements and letters of recommendation.

The general rule of thumb concerning admissions is "the process is more art than science".

Just keep in mind that test scores are only one aspect of the application. In admission offices at both undergraduate and graduate level, the general philosophy is that good scores will not get you in, but bad scores can certainly keep you out.

The school will look at your overall application. One guideline for interpreting your test scores and their relevance in your application packet is to look at your percentile. This compares your test performance with other test takers. Naturally, the consideration of your score at each institution is going to be impacted by the scores of the other applicants. What if 1000 students apply to the department and nearly 60% of them have higher scores than you, will that shut you out? Not necessarily, if the other elements of your application are strong and you are a good fit for that department.

Graduate school admission, particularly accompanied by funding, is a competitive process. It not an entirely quantitative process. Schools tend to focus a great deal of attention on personal statements and letters of recommendation.

The general rule of thumb concerning admissions is "the process is more art than science".

Thanks Elz,

Yeah an application process is totally weird and you really cannot say with 100% where you'd be accepted. It's more weird than Quantum Mechanics :XmasROFL:. I saw o physicsgre forum that for example one Chinese student(and they are great in Subjects GRE and GRE) who had 970 points (5% or something) GPA 3.9,was rejected from many schools, and other guy with PGRE 680 accepted. It is real conundrum, and because of it is a bit stressful , because you cannot plan anything till date you receive a response.

Thanks Elz,

Yeah an application process is totally weird and you really cannot say with 100% where you'd be accepted. It's more weird than Quantum Mechanics :XmasROFL:. I saw o physicsgre forum that for example one Chinese student(and they are great in Subjects GRE and GRE) who had 970 points (5% or something) GPA 3.9,was rejected from many schools, and other guy with PGRE 680 accepted. It is real conundrum, and because of it is a bit stressful , because you cannot plan anything till date you receive a response.

The key is to successfully present yourself to graduate admissions committees. This is really what our advising services are all about. We help students understand the process and at the same time guide them through the self-reflection necessary to write a powerful and effective personal statement.

Keep an eye on our calendar in the coming days, we will start to set up the schedule for the next academic year and you will see some pretty interesting activities that could help you through the process.

Hello Cyclonela,

I also plan to take GRE Physics this year and I am interested what did you do

with your score, did you make it to some university ?

Also, where did you find resources for preparing GRE Physics test ?

Are you still in Belgrade ?

Thanks and best regards

Dragoslav

Hello Cyclonela,

I also plan to take GRE Physics this year and I am interested what did you do

with your score, did you make it to some university ?

Also, where did you find resources for preparing GRE Physics test ?

Are you still in Belgrade ?

Thanks and best regards

Dragoslav

Hello,

I'm still searching for schools, because I want to get into biophysics, so there are no a lot of schools offering those courses. In meantime I'm preparing TOEFL, and perhaps GRE.

Look, I think my score was good, but not extraordinary, because if you look in average acceptance of Harvard (1st in physics) is above 880,Berkeley 920,Caltech 890,MIT (unknown) ,Cornell 750, Wisconsin 790. Of course you have to be aware that there were no Chinese students bellow 800, they are one of the best test takers. Infos about requirements of physics grad school can be found on www.gradshoolshopper.com . I suggest to take a look at that site .

Because of not so extraordinary score, I'm not sure if I'm right person to give you advice how to prepare it. What I did was that I had a month to prepare it, so I took and read E&M by Matveev, Waves ad Optics by Nedeljkovic, lectures from theoretical mechanics, statistical mechanics and thermodynamics and QM, and a bit of fluid dynamics.

You have to be aware that PGRE is multiple choice and that you have in average about 1 minute per question, so that means, you don't have time to derive formula. Actually, you know or you don't know final formula (or you don't recall) , or if you aren't sure there is - or + sign, so that is a lot of different of what we are used to-on deriving formulas,without need of memorising it. I downloaded PGRE sample test from ETS, and you can find other tests on internet. I think good site is physicsgre.com . Also if you have time go visit IACBG, they probably have those tests. I suggest you to start preparing it as soon as possible.Questions aren't hard, but catch is too memorise as much as you can final formulas.

If you apply for an American University, you will also need to take GRE, and verbal part is hard, and they rarely waive it, or you need to explain why you couldn't take it...Good school requires about >550 (for foreigners) Verbal section, and above 700-730 in Quantitative.They look carefully at analytical part, because case study at Yale University suggested only good correlation between analytical part and success in graduate school.

And the last test you need to take is TOEFL, it is mostly needed because of Assistantships (teaching or research). Range of TOEFL scores vary from school to school,but commonly it is in 90-100 range, with emphasised lower bound on writing or speaking section,mostly above 22-23.

Letters of recommendation are essential, and be aware of generic recommendation letters, they look carefully in it. It is good to have recommendation letters, that really describe you and your potential that has proof cited (you were involved in research, attended conference, summer school...) If you spent considerable time in foreign institution ask one recommendation from them, so it could prove that you have ability to adapt on different environment and be successful.

GPA mostly needs to be over 3.0 -3.2-3.3 at 4- point scale.

Research experience is very welcome and good motivation (cover) letter. Cover letter helps them to make impressions on your personality and of course maturity, and are you good fit for their department.

I have to say,I'm not an expert in this area, you should visit IACBG, they will assist you in almost anything you need to be competitive applicant at the US University. They are the only, who know this best, and you should consider their advices carefully!

Thanks for quick reply.

I have master degree in astrophysics and since I know from older colleagues

that went to USA universities, they took GRE physics and TOEFL, but not GRE

general, so I will also take GRE Physics and TOEFL. I know about recommendations

and will try to get them from professors :XmasROFL:

Thanks,

Dragoslav

Thanks for quick reply.

I have master degree in astrophysics and since I know from older colleagues

that went to USA universities, they took GRE physics and TOEFL, but not GRE

general, so I will also take GRE Physics and TOEFL. I know about recommendations

and will try to get them from professors :XmasROFL:

Thanks,

Dragoslav

You are welcome,

But have in mind that all applications are different, so they could waive GRE for someone, but not for someone other. Also take a look at funding requirements. It is really rare to be considered for fellowship without taking GRE, but as Elz said that admission process is more art than science. And once more, the best way to increase your chances for acceptance is to contact IACBG staff!

Best regards

Ok,

I think that universities in astrophysics look GRE Physics and

TOEFL is there to guarantee communication ability, so that is

my choice.

I already contacted IACBG staff and got all info. So it is now all on

exams :XmasROFL:

What is bio-physics, I mean some example from practical use ??

Kind regards,

dragoslav

Ok,

I think that universities in astrophysics look GRE Physics and

TOEFL is there to guarantee communication ability, so that is

my choice.

I already contacted IACBG staff and got all info. So it is now all on

exams :XmasROFL:

What is bio-physics, I mean some example from practical use ??

Kind regards,

dragoslav

I need to take TOEFL,even though it's so boring... I worked as an intern at Louisiana State University at High Energy Physics, neutrino oscillations for a year there, on research scholar level.It was great there to get new experience, talk on conference, and it is totally different than here. I wrote there my diploma work, and defended it there and than here. But studying there is different than here.Your mentor there just supervise you, he doesn't interfere in your methods and doesn't help you a lot. Only what he can give you are references and resources,like supercomputers. Every week, you need to report him your advance, then he checks data, if something looks odd, you need to explain it, because you need to know he doesn't know all details of your work... So that year in the US helped me a lot to gain experience,I couldn't get here,and hope so it would help me when I'm applying.

Biophysics is actually branch of soft matter physics, where you research proteins behaviour ,cell membrane mechanics,DNA molecule and other biomolecules, and then you apply forces on them to see how they react on it, and other part is MRI, micro-fluids etc... Groups are very small, about 3 members so it is really taught to get in...

Best regards

Ok Cyclonela,

thanks for info. In each cell we have same strain of DNA chain that multiplied to whole organism gives result

as we are today. So natural evolution could not do more than that, create one strain of DNA to satisfy all functions

of organism. So the task could be to refine DNA strain in each part of organism for specific functioning.

regards,

dragoslav

I am sorry if I sound stupid but I am not an expert in the area, though I am very

interested in Genetics. But what informations the DNA carries ? After forming of

organs and stuff does it determines metabolism of cells and that kind of everyday

cell functions, creation of proteins, etc. It looks like the DNA is kernel of bio organisms :)

And does it makes sense to refine strain of DNA to contain just parts that is needed

by specific cells ?

thanks,

dragoslav

I am sorry if I sound stupid but I am not an expert in the area, though I am very

interested in Genetics. But what information the DNA carries ? After forming of

organs and stuff does it determines metabolism of cells and that kind of everyday

cell functions, creation of proteins, etc. It looks like the DNA is kernel of bio organisms :)

And does it makes sense to refine strain of DNA to contain just parts that is needed

by specific cells ?

thanks,

dragoslav

Well physics is trying to introduce DNA computing, and to extract as much as they can data from it,by exciting it(photonics)