IAC Board

In the news: Women’s Tennis signs Serbian standout Bojana Markovic

administrator

AUSTIN, Texas – University of Texas head women's tennis coach Howard Joffe announced Tuesday the signing of Serbian junior tennis standout Bojana Markovic (bo-YAHN-ah mar-KOH-vitch) to an athletics scholarship agreement (ASA). Markovic, who has ranked as high as No. 794 in the WTA women's singles rankings, will join the Longhorns next month in advance of the fall semester.

"I am enthusiastic and thrilled with Bojana's inclusion in our team," Joffe said. "Her passion for tennis, her drive and her toughness, along with her uncanny ability to compete and win, will add another piece to a young and increasingly formidable Texas team. I'm very appreciative to Bojana's parents, Nebojsa and Gordana, as well as her brother Nemanja, for trusting The University of Texas with Bojana's goals and well-being."

Markovic joins Marta Perez-Mur of Spain as Longhorns newcomers for the 2017-18 season. This fall, Markovic and Perez join seven student-athletes returning from the 2016-17 squad that reached the second round of the NCAA Championships and ranked 22nd in the final ITA team poll.

"My excitement is overwhelming," Markovic said. "I can't wait to join the Longhorns and fight to win championships."

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/7/18/womens-tennis-signs-serbian-standout-bojana-markovic.aspx