IAC Board

Athletic and Merit Scholarship Combinations

nikola7

Hello, i have some questions about scholarship.

I have finished the highschool as valedictorian and straight a student ( with average mark 5.00 ) and i'm also playing soccer for 7 years. Thus i need to know does it helps me in geting full scholarship and am i able to combine the academic scholarship with athlete scholarship ( if i get that.) Also i need to know what is the highest percent of academic scholarship that i can get and what is the minimum SAT score that i must achieve to get full scholarship or minimum score which can be combined with athlete scholarship to get full treatment? Also i need to know how to be added to the recruiting list( should i send e-mails to all coaches that i can find and ask tham to do that, or i should only send my highlights to them, and they will put me on the list if they want) 

Pozdrav, imam nekoliko pitanja u vezi stipendije.

Srednju skolu sam zavrsio sa prosekom 5.00 i bio sam djak generacije, a takodje treniram fudbal vec 7 godina. Zeleo bih da nastavim da igram fudbal po odlasku na koledz pa me interesuje da li postoji mogucnost da se kombinuje sportska i akademska stipendija kako bih dobio 100% stipendije ukupno. Takodje me interesuje i koji je najmanji potreban skor sa SAT testa kako bih aplicirao za stipendiju, bilo da je ona samo akademska i da iznosi 100% ili da je kombinovana sa sportskom. Takodje me interesuje kako stupiti na recruiting list kada je sport u pitanju ( da li je potrebno slati svim trenerim e-mail i traziti od njih samo da me stave na lisu, ili ako se salje mejl samo saljem svoje podatke i snimak sa utakmice a oni me sami stave na listu ukoliko to zele) 

Hi Nikola,

Thanks for your questions. I will not be able to answer all of them right now, but I'll answer what I can and then search for further answers.

First of all, scholarships can be combined. If you get an academic scholarship it will likely be a merit-based or need-based scholarship, that can be combined with an athletic scholarship if you get that as well. But there are always special situations that can arise, depending on what schools you will apply to.

There is no single answer to the test score questions because different schools will have different requirements. However, if you want to look very competitive, you should look to score above 1500 points on the SAT.

Concerning the recruiting list I'm not certain in this moment and will collect some information. Either I or my colleague will respond in due time.

Hi Nikola,

You are looking at several different situations here.  Let me see if I can knock some of them out for you: 

I have finished the highschool as valedictorian and straight a student ( with average mark 5.00 ) and i'm also playing soccer for 7 years. Thus i need to know does it helps me in geting full scholarship and am i able to combine the academic scholarship with athlete scholarship ( if i get that.)  Yes, it is possible that a coach and an admission officer will work together to create a scholarship package that combines funding for your sports talent along with academic merit.  Other schools, including DIII schools, may not offer sports scholarships, but will instead offer full merit scholarships which are based on academic excellence, and a student's overall achievement in other areas.  

Also i need to know what is the highest percent of academic scholarship that i can get and what is the minimum SAT score that i must achieve to get full scholarship or minimum score which can be combined with athlete scholarship to get full treatment? Each school is going to determine the amount of funding that they will provide to you.  A great deal of this depends on how you will compare to the other students that are in the applicant pool.  For example, according to the SAT Suite Annual Report, around 1.7 million students took the SAT.  Of that group, 6% scored 700 or above on the Evidence-based Reading & Writing Sections (ERW), while 7% scored at 700 or above on the Math area.  In the next group, 600 to 690, 23% scored in that range for the ERW, and 18% for the Math.  Next we have an ERW of 35% and a math group of 36% in the 500 to 590 range - 400 to 490 scorers sit at about 28% in both areas, ERW and Math. 

Also i need to know how to be added to the recruiting list( should i send e-mails to all coaches that i can find and ask tham to do that, or i should only send my highlights to them, and they will put me on the list if they want) 

For getting recruited you have several choices, but you definitely have to write to coaches.  Typically the coaches will not only be interested in your athletic data, but they will also want to know where you stand with your TOEFL - you must meet that required number in order for the International Student Offices to sign off on your documentation that makes you eligible to apply for a student visa at that school, so you have to hit that.  Naturally coaches are not interested in players that cannot get visas to come and play for the team.  

If you want to see a good way to present oneself, the newest site that I have found, and I really like it is ViewmySport.com  because you see some of the videos that the athletes have put up.  I like the introductory video because some of the players have made this video in their room and it looks very nice and informal - they talk about other things outside of sports which I think is very important because it also touches on the admissions office - and that is where acceptances and rejections come from in the final process.  Then you can see some highlights.  It is my understanding that you can put up a resume for free, and that can be good, but I am not sure how popular this site is with coaches just yet.  (I believe that it will take off).  However, you can put up some info there, and at the same time, I would suggest that you create a youtube channel that you can direct coaches to as well. 

Berecruited.com is also an excellent way to get more attention from coaches, and of course, the old fashioned way of contacting them yourself is also tried and true.  Mostly they want your data - height, weight, stats for your sport, and they will ask to see SAT and TOEFL scores so they can be confident that you will have a good chance of being admitted.  

I hope this helps you, some.