IAC Board

CUNYAC/HSS Scholar-Athlete of the Year Honorable Mention: Ivan Vasojevic, Medgar Evers

administrator

Ivan Vasojevic, a member of the Medgar Evers College men's soccer team, graduated this January cum laude with a 3.5 grade-point average and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science. Vasojevic was a five-time Dean's List honoree.

A native of Novi Pazar, Serbia, Vasojevic was a computer technician for three years in his native Serbia. Vasojevic is an entrepreneur, operating his own electronics repair business in New York City since 2009.

In addition, Vasojevic has served as a Soccer for Success Coach at P.S. 181 in Brooklyn as part of the Medgar Evers College-Beacon Afterschool Program.   

On the field, Vasojevic appeared in 32 games for the Cougars, including 30 starts at the fullback position. He produced 12 career shot attempts, including seven on target. He was voted a team captain in his senior season.

"Ivan is the most physically gifted college student-athlete whom I have ever coached," Cougars Men's Soccer Head Coach Jack Willem Thelusma said. "He has a passion for soccer, constantly works hard, and always gives one hundred percent on the field. Ivan takes his academic career seriously by performing at a very high level every term. Undoubtedly, Ivan will leave an indelible mark at MEC. In sum, Ivan Vasojevic will be deeply missed."

"I am very humbled by this experience. Seven years ago, I entered this country without speaking the English language as an international student, trying to pursue a life in sports and education. It was very challenging, but I never gave up! I now speak the language and I always encourage my peers on and off the field to keep going, face your fears and to be the best person they can be," Vasojevic said. "Being honorably mentioned as a Scholar-Athlete of the Year is an absolute blessing. I've worked so hard and to be recognized, especially in such high regard, means and says a lot. Not just about me but of CUNY as well. I accept this mention with great pride and will continue to strive towards excellence in both sports and education and will continue to make my family proud."

https://cunyathletics.com/news/2020/5/19/mens-soccer-cunyac-hss-scholar-athlete-of-the-year-honorable-mention-ivan-vasojevic-medgar-evers.aspx