IAC Board

Berea College

marko_k

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Marko,

Sorry for the slow reply, we moved to Majke Jevrosime 18/II sprat so we have been a bit behind.  Now about Berea College.  

Yes, it is indeed religiously affiliated, but bear in mind that many schools in America were started by religious organizations.  For example, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and many other colleges were founded by religious communities, but have now "secularized".  

Berea was founded by abolitistionists - people who were actively protesting against and working to end slavery in the United States.  I checked the Princeton Review on-line guide and found this quote:

In their free time, students like to "think about life, society, classes, work, the world, food, contra dance, swing dance, Bible study, partying, sex, drugs, and Christian rock. We also like to knit and hike."

It does seem that some of these things are against the general rules at Berea, but it also seems that you could recieve a great education there.  I am currently unpacking some of my statistics and I would like to look and see if there are any students from Serbia studying there.  Does your friend have first hand experience about this school or does your friend know someone who has attended the school.  

Because of their abolitionist affiliation, the school is very liberal in many ways, which means that they are tolerant and the student body is quite diverse.  Therefore I would be quite surprised if they would try to convert you and it is certainly not what people here refer to as a "sect".  On the other hand, they have some ground rules, such as you will be living in a county...a district larger than a city, in which there is no alcohol for sale.  Thus, if you want to have some evening out with some friends, you will have to travel to another country in order to have a drink.  (Frankly this has never seemed to hold college students back in the past, however, you will want to be sure that you either stay overnight in that place or have someone drive that has not been drinking!!!!! LISTEN TO TETKA Elizabeth  ! ! ! )  

The students at the school seem very happy with their education, they work quite hard, and seem to feel that they are getting a great value in terms of education.  

Now that we are settled into our new offices, I will make a point to call Berea and speak with them.  Is there anything in particular that you would like for me to ask them about their campus life and so on?  

Elz

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for such a detailed answer. My friend went to the States and that family told her about Berea. But, I was most worried whether they would talk about God and try to convert me.

Franky, I'm not a "party animal" and it wouldn't be a problem living there (but, as you say I can always go elsewhere to have a drink).

What's most important to me is the education that I would gain there, if accepted. I'll apply to other colleges as well, but that's another story.

If it's not too much of a problem, you could ask them about the campus life and what is the percent of students being accepted to some prestigious graduate programs, esp. Harvard.

I have to go study for the SAT. I'm taking it on October 14th, so I'm a bit scared.

Thanks for all the information.

Marko

Hmmm, I am at a College that is religiously affiliated with the United Methodist church. But, nobody makes me go to church, pray to God and things like that. Some 30 years ago, it was a common practice for all students to attend religious ceremonies, but now they dropped that. But, check with the school about that.

I'm think an institution can't force you to do anything unless you SIGN it that you agree! I know quite a lot of people that have different religious beliefs and it would be ridiculous to make them do something they don't want to.

But, as far as that knitting thing goes... BELIEVE IT!!!!! I had a girl today come to class with her knitting thingies and she knit a cap while we were discussing. And, I saw people coming to classes barefoot!

• 5 months later...
Hmmm, I am at a College that is religiously affiliated with the United Methodist church. But, nobody makes me go to church, pray to God and things like that. Some 30 years ago, it was a common practice for all students to attend religious ceremonies, but now they dropped that. But, check with the school about that.

I'm think an institution can't force you to do anything unless you SIGN it that you agree! I know quite a lot of people that have different religious beliefs and it would be ridiculous to make them do something they don't want to.

But, as far as that knitting thing goes... BELIEVE IT!!!!! I had a girl today come to class with her knitting thingies and she knit a cap while we were discussing. And, I saw people coming to classes barefoot!

hahaha that's b/c you live in a hippie state called vermont! :lol: but you have to love it, people are way cooler then down south!