IAC Board

Green card and graduate studies?

I arrived in USA few weeks before and I would like to start preparations for graduate studies. I have permanent resident status and I would like to know something about my possibilities here in US. So I need help of academic advisor. Thanks.

Dear Nik,

You have really good possibilities as a eligible resident.  Basically what you need to do is not drastically different than what a student would do from here.  The main difference is that for you it will be easier.  Also you will have the opportunity to visit universities and speak with graduate admissions officers and visit the departments.  

One of the first things that I would recommend to you is to get Donald Asher's book on Graduate Admissions.  It has a great deal of very good information that you can read and study to get you focused in the right direction.  Research is going to be the first step that you need to take and this book has a wealth of info to help you get a really good overview of the process.  

It is really much easier for you to get information when you are in the United States than when you are working abroad.  I think that after you read the Asher book, you will start to feel more focused.  

Once you have determined what schools you want to apply to, then you can begin to fill out applications and apply for financial assistance.  Most likely you will need to take the GRE or GMAT, so you should also begin to prepare for those exams.  You will need books for these exams as well.

Most likely you can get your hands on a great deal of informative material at a large bookstore such as Barnes Noble, Borders, and so on.  I really think that you should visit one of these stores and begin to browse through the books on education and see what you can find.  Also a nearby university library will also have some of these books.

After you go through the Asher book, let me know about any other questions that you might have.  

Best regards,

Elz