IAC Board

Srednja skola?

nidex

Well this is a very complicated procedure and there are many factors that you must consider. First of all, the American education system, like all educational systems is not exactly free-rather it is paid for by tax dollars. Now, these tax dollars come from specific taxes - property taxes. Thus, neighborhoods with expensive housing tend to have much higher property taxes, so as you can see, some schools tend to have more money per student to spend on education that others. This is important because exchange students must pay their share of this fee rather than have American taxpayers subsidize the education. So, this is one reason why these high school year in the United States programs tend to be set in small communities - the property taxes there are not so high, thus the cost of enrolling an exchange student will not be so high. (For example, I would shudder to think what it might cost to enroll a student in a neighborhood full of millionaires.) This is the first issue, finding a school that has an affordable price tag.

The next part of the problem concerns the paperwork. The agency that handle these programs have J-1 visa sponsors. However, a student that is financing this high school program independently will apply not for a J-1 Visa, but instead for an F-1 Visa. This visa is most commonly used for students attending college/university in the USA. In order for the student to apply for an F-1 visa, the school must issue an I-20. This is usually where the problem is going to begin. In order for schools to have the authority to issue I-20 forms, the schools must go through a rather lengthy and costly procedure. Often the school does not understand this procedure. Schools will often welcome a prospective international high school student with open arms only to find out later about the actual paperwork required. You can learn more about how a school can go about doing this at the following link:

http://www.ailc.com/howdoi/hdiforeign.htm

Once you have visited the link, you will begin to understand that this is a lengthy process. In general, if the school has not already received this approval and bear in mind that there is a substantial cost to have this done and the school will need to be inspected by the appropriate officials in order to be approved-this can take a very long time, it is best to locate a school that already has the authorization to issue an I-20 form.

Once a school is located that is authorized to issue an I-20, the process becomes a bit simpler. The student/parents will need to pay the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of education for the intended period of study. The school will need to issue a receipt to acknowledge the payment and this will need to be presented at the embassy, along with all other required documentation. For the most complete and up to date information on this, you can visit the embassy website: http://belgrade.usembassy.gov/consular/nv/student.html

This is a link to the US Embassy in Belgrade and will contain the most up to date information.

Best regards,

Elz

• 1 month later...
Well this is a very complicated procedure and there are many factors that you must consider. First of all, the American education system, like all educational systems is not exactly free-rather it is paid for by tax dollars. Now, these tax dollars come from specific taxes - property taxes. Thus, neighborhoods with expensive housing tend to have much higher property taxes, so as you can see, some schools tend to have more money per student to spend on education that others. This is important because exchange students must pay their share of this fee rather than have American taxpayers subsidize the education. So, this is one reason why these high school year in the United States programs tend to be set in small communities - the property taxes there are not so high, thus the cost of enrolling an exchange student will not be so high. (For example, I would shudder to think what it might cost to enroll a student in a neighborhood full of millionaires.) This is the first issue, finding a school that has an affordable price tag.

The next part of the problem concerns the paperwork. The agency that handle these programs have J-1 visa sponsors. However, a student that is financing this high school program independently will apply not for a J-1 Visa, but instead for an F-1 Visa. This visa is most commonly used for students attending college/university in the USA. In order for the student to apply for an F-1 visa, the school must issue an I-20. This is usually where the problem is going to begin. In order for schools to have the authority to issue I-20 forms, the schools must go through a rather lengthy and costly procedure. Often the school does not understand this procedure. Schools will often welcome a prospective international high school student with open arms only to find out later about the actual paperwork required. You can learn more about how a school can go about doing this at the following link:

http://www.ailc.com/howdoi/hdiforeign.htm

Once you have visited the link, you will begin to understand that this is a lengthy process. In general, if the school has not already received this approval and bear in mind that there is a substantial cost to have this done and the school will need to be inspected by the appropriate officials in order to be approved-this can take a very long time, it is best to locate a school that already has the authorization to issue an I-20 form.

Once a school is located that is authorized to issue an I-20, the process becomes a bit simpler. The student/parents will need to pay the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of education for the intended period of study. The school will need to issue a receipt to acknowledge the payment and this will need to be presented at the embassy, along with all other required documentation. For the most complete and up to date information on this, you can visit the embassy website: http://belgrade.usembassy.gov/consular/nv/student.html

This is a link to the US Embassy in Belgrade and will contain the most up to date information.

Best regards,

Elz

Ja imam jos jedno pitanje i mislim da je ovo odgovarajuca tema. Posto cu ja biti student sa F1 vizom, a imam 2 cerke od 10 i 13 godina, da li cu i za njh morati da platim skolu? One su do sada isle u englesku skolu u inostranstvu tako da barem engleski jezik nece biti problem.

Sta mi je jos potrebno za njihov upis?

Hvala puno.

Marijana