IAC Board

Medical studies in US

Milos Z

I am med student on a 3rd year.I was on yours postgraduated studies counculing(sorry about the speling),i was told that i have to graduate,or to transfer to science school and to start from the biging.So,i`m wondering what do i have to do to transfer,what are the conditions that i have to manage.Thank you!

I am med student on a 3rd year.I was on yours postgraduated studies counculing(sorry about the speling),i was told that i have to graduate,or to transfer to science school and to start from the biging.So,i`m wondering what do i have to do to transfer,what are the conditions that i have to manage.Thank you!

Dear Marko,

One of the first things that medical students in Serbia must recognize is the difference in educational backgrounds between an American medical student and a Serbian medical student. In order to enter medical school in the United States, a student must first obtain a Bachelors degree. Generally this diploma will be in a life science field or perhaps in "Pre-med". Once the Bachelors degree is firmly in hand and the four years of education completed, the student then sits for an examination to determine if the student has a level of knowledge that is acceptable to any medical school in the United States. Thus, medical school transfer is not an option. The absolute easiest way to do this is to complete the diploma in Serbia and then begin to attempt the process of completing a program for International Medical Graduates tp receive approval (licensing) tp practice medicine in one of the 50 U.S. states. For more information on this, please view topic "Kako radite kao lekar" or something like that.

On the other hand, just like other students studying at the undergraduate level in Serbia, medical students can transfer. Now transfer can be a tricky process even within the United States. Students must be willing to do a great deal of specific research.

One of the first steps is to find programs of study in the United States that "match" the background of what the student has studied thus far. Each school in the United States sets its own program as to how transfers are handled. Some schools will accept nearly an entire course of study. Other schools will limit how many of the "courses" or "exams" that will be accepted from another institution. Think of this logically for a moment - Suppose a student attended one school and had nearly completed that school, then decided to transfer to another school for the final semester - the second school would issue the diploma and it would appear that the student had complete credentials from that school. That is really not a valid assumption, is it? For example, why not attend a rather cheap school that is not very academically competitive...make a bunch of easy "A"s, and then enroll in a very expensive and elite school for the last semester and leave with that diploma?

Thus, the first step is to explore the wide range of programs and determine what the transfer policy is of each school. Many students here look at less competitive schools for transfer options because they do tend to be more flexible as their diploma is not "branded". Remember the school has other students that have invested and committed and these students are not going to be so wild to see someone jump into the program that has not been in a program with equal standards. Once a transfer student finds a program that is compatible the next question is usually financial assistance. This can be tricky for transfer students. The general rule of thumb is that a student needs to have a nearly stellar GPA in order to get financial assistance as a transfer student. The GPA needs to be good enough to attract the school to provide resources to a transfer student. It is very difficult for a student with a dismal academic performance to convince an American school to provide financial aid.

I hope this helps.

Elz

• 1 year later...

I think this is the place for my question.

I'm a student of English (in my 2nd year currently). I've got some plans about studying medicine, too. So, is there a possibility of enrolling to a US medical school once I've got my BA? After all, I will have four years of studies. On the other hand, they will be asking for some courses in Chemistry and Biology. Could I possibly take some tests to prove my knowledge in those fields since I won't be able to take Chemistry/Biology courses at my faculty?