IAC Board

GW problem

marko_k

Hi Elizabeth,

I have a problem with George Washington University. Namely, I have applied there since it's a strong university, and when I contacted them they said that inernational students are considered for an academic scholarship that can range up to full tuition. However, yesterday one of the admission committe officers contaced me, saying that I am required to deliver them the financial certificate (I have sent it alreday, since they said I don't have to write the full amount) which confirmes that I have the necessary 52000$ for tuition! I emailed her explaining what they told me, and she replied that the maximum sum I can get is 15000$. What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Marko

I'll answer this question:

All you need to know is found on the following web-page

http://gwired.gwu.edu/adm/apply/internatio...html#assistance

As far as I could see, the University EXPECTS you to contribute significantly towards your education! Also, it seems to me that, unfortunately, the admissions officers were wrong the first time (and, were right the last time they contacted you).

Take my advice (I've noticed that you've been shooting for the "big league" primarily), and advice of many people that I know (amongst others, PROFESSORS that I know here) - apply to a school that is not a super-hard one to get in, and from whom you can get a lot of money, and then, after you get your Bachelor's Degree, apply for Master studies on tough Universities!! There are several reasons why this is a better move:

- you'll get to know the system in those 4 years

- you'll improve your English significantly

- you'll get a helluva lot better recommendations (if you try in your classes)

- it'll be easier for you to be amongst the best (and get better grades easier), while at tougher Universities, if you get professors grade on a curve, you'll bust your ass studying, and you might score 90s (out of 100) on your tests, but, if most people got 95s, you're gonna end up with a C, even though 90 is pretty darn high!

- if you're really smart and ambitious, at smaller colleges, everyone will be there to help you, and to guide you (and, they'll do it with greatest pleasure and satisfaction), while at bigger ones, you're just "one among the many" (it's a completely different treatment, believe me)

- and, most importantly - graduate degrees, and graduate schools are what count nowadays!!! Last semester, one of my professors said that she found a data that said that 32% of Americans hold College Degrees!!!

If you already got into some of the big universities (and got substantial funding), then my congratulations! If not, I would still consider "not-so-known" ones... Cheers, man!!

Dule

Hi Elizabeth,

I have a problem with George Washington University. Namely, I have applied there since it's a strong university, and when I contacted them they said that inernational students are considered for an academic scholarship that can range up to full tuition. However, yesterday one of the admission committe officers contaced me, saying that I am required to deliver them the financial certificate (I have sent it alreday, since they said I don't have to write the full amount) which confirmes that I have the necessary 52000$ for tuition! I emailed her explaining what they told me, and she replied that the maximum sum I can get is 15000$. What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Marko

I totally agree with Dule on this. Try for a school that will give you more money. Also, without financial statement they may give you a hard time when issuing an I-20. What are you planning on studying??

• 4 weeks later...
I'll answer this question:

All you need to know is found on the following web-page

http://gwired.gwu.edu/adm/apply/internatio...html#assistance

As far as I could see, the University EXPECTS you to contribute significantly towards your education! Also, it seems to me that, unfortunately, the admissions officers were wrong the first time (and, were right the last time they contacted you).

Take my advice (I've noticed that you've been shooting for the "big league" primarily), and advice of many people that I know (amongst others, PROFESSORS that I know here) - apply to a school that is not a super-hard one to get in, and from whom you can get a lot of money, and then, after you get your Bachelor's Degree, apply for Master studies on tough Universities!! There are several reasons why this is a better move:

- you'll get to know the system in those 4 years

- you'll improve your English significantly

- you'll get a helluva lot better recommendations (if you try in your classes)

- it'll be easier for you to be amongst the best (and get better grades easier), while at tougher Universities, if you get professors grade on a curve, you'll bust your ass studying, and you might score 90s (out of 100) on your tests, but, if most people got 95s, you're gonna end up with a C, even though 90 is pretty darn high!

- if you're really smart and ambitious, at smaller colleges, everyone will be there to help you, and to guide you (and, they'll do it with greatest pleasure and satisfaction), while at bigger ones, you're just "one among the many" (it's a completely different treatment, believe me)

- and, most importantly - graduate degrees, and graduate schools are what count nowadays!!! Last semester, one of my professors said that she found a data that said that 32% of Americans hold College Degrees!!!

If you already got into some of the big universities (and got substantial funding), then my congratulations! If not, I would still consider "not-so-known" ones... Cheers, man!!

Dule

Dear Marko K,

As usual Dule is on top of this. Let me add a few thoughts. Here is the recent break down from Open Doors, published by the International Insitution of Education, concerning how most international students pay for their education in the United States:

Primary Sources of Funding for Undergraduate International Students 2006 Academic Year:

Personal & Family 81.5 %

US College or University 11.4 %

Home Govt/University 2.2%

US Government 0.3%

US Private Sponsor 2.1%

Foreign Private Sponsor 1.7%

International Organization 0.2%

Current Employer 0.1%

Other Sources 0.6%

The first rule of thumb is that prior to applying, be sure that the school is capable of providing the funding that will meet your needs. Some of the very top schools out there do have a need blind policy which means that any student admitted will receive funding, but once again we go back to incredibly competitive programs. According to the New York Times, Harvard rejected over one thousand students that had perfect scores on the SAT II Math exam. Thus, you would probably want to apply to a wide range of schools, including some of those that are strong, but not famous, in order to increase your chances of acceptance.

I know that this makes it hard for students because often the "dream school" is not the option due to financial considerations, but with a little research and hard work, students with strong academic records can usually find a school that it is a good fit for them and that is willing to provide the financial assistance that they need.

Have you been to group advising yet? If it has been a long time ago, it might be time for a refresher session. On the other hand, if you have not been, it is probably a good idea so that you can get a better picture.

Elz

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I was also looking at the GW and some other Universities in DC. I understand what u say about getting into hard Universitites but they are the only ones who have need blind policy and give good scholarhips. I am curios what does merit base scholarship means? also can u reccomend us some smaller universities which are easier to get into and give good scholarhips. I am also interested in political science and foreign relations :D

I was looking at American University, actually I visited it couple of weeks ago and I really liked it. But the highest amount they give out for scholarship is half of the tuition. Can u tell me is it possible for me, even if I get half of the tuition, to find somewhere othe 20 000 necessary?

Thanks ahead,

Bojan

Bojan,

This information about the giving of "good scholarships" is simply not true. It is very important that you sign up for a free undergraduate advising session. This is the best way to get all of this information. As for GW, we are having a visit on Monday 7 July from a GW admission officer. Why not come to this presentation?

Elz

Hey,

I was also looking at the GW and some other Universities in DC. I understand what u say about getting into hard Universitites but they are the only ones who have need blind policy and give good scholarhips. I am curios what does merit base scholarship means? also can u reccomend us some smaller universities which are easier to get into and give good scholarhips. I am also interested in political science and foreign relations :D

I was looking at American University, actually I visited it couple of weeks ago and I really liked it. But the highest amount they give out for scholarship is half of the tuition. Can u tell me is it possible for me, even if I get half of the tuition, to find somewhere othe 20 000 necessary?

Thanks ahead,

Bojan