IAC Board

Kako raditi kao lekar u USA

nikola

Molio bih vas da mi pru?ite adekvatne informacije, kako kao diplomirani lekar u SiCG, mogu da dobijem dozvolu za rad (nostrifikovanu diplomu) u USA, te da tamo ostanem (na nedefinisani vremenski period) da radim kao doktor medicine. Zanima me koje su sve procedure potrebne, jezik, finansijska potreba, vremenski period za tako ne?to. Zanima me koje su mogućnosti da se dalje edukujem u USA u smislu specijalizacije i praktičnog i/ili naučnog usavr?avanja!

Najlep?e hvala

Dear Nikola,

Although I wrote back to you, I want to share some general information with anyone else who is looking for this information. First of all, the process for nostrificaton in licensed, professional fields such as medicine is quite complex. The primary reasoning for this is because the licensing of physicians in the United States is regulated by the states. This means that each of the 50 states determines what steps an International Medical Graduate must take. The American Medical Association is the largest professional society of doctos in the United States. Their website, www.ama-assn.org, contains a vast collection of materials concerning the rules and regulations for International Medical Graduates (IMGs) on this website. Over the next few days. I will try to develop a links back on the forum that goes to the most basic and general information to help people begin to get a clear picture of the steps.

For example: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/10587.html

"All state licensing jurisdictions require a graduate of a foreign medical school to complete at least one year of accredited U.S. or Canadian graduate medical education before licensure. However, 14 states require two years and 29 states require three years of accredited graduate medical education. Illinois requires two years of graduate medical education for IMGs entering training programs after January 1, 1988. The requirement for each state can be found at State Licensure Board Requirements for IMGs."

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/10141.html:

Four key steps to begin practicing medicine in the U.S.

Physicians who received their medical degree outside the US or Canada must

complete the following four steps to practice in the US. It is important to understand

these steps thoroughly.

ECFMG Certification Certification from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Through its program of certification, the ECFMG assesses the readiness of international medical graduates to enter US residency or fellowship programs. The process for certification and the required retraining are described at www.ecfmg.org

Residency Program Requirements After certification, physicians who wish to practice medicine in the US must complete an accredited residency training program in the US or Canada - this process will take at least three years. The physician will have to complete a residency program regardless of the training they have received overseas. Many medical graduates are placed in residency programs through the National Residency Match Program, www.nrmp.org

State licensure Every medical graduate must apply for a license in the state(s) in which they intend to practice. Generally, you have to complete 1-3 years of residency before applying for a license.

Immigration (for non-US residents). The entry of foreign-born graduates of non-US medical schools to the US is governed by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

As you can see, the steps are not exactly the same, there is no one answer. In addition, there are certain exemptions in certain cases.

In addition to the AMA website, there is http://www.ecfmg.org/ the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG?) assesses the readiness of international medical graduates to enter residency or fellowship programs in the United States that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).

ECFMG offers a variety of other programs and services to physicians educated abroad and other members of the international medical community. Detailed information on ECFMG Certification and ECFMG's other programs and services is available on this site and in the ECFMG Information Booklet.

Any IMG considering nostrification will need to visit both of these sites and follow the links on these sites to develop a picture of the necessary steps. Unfortunately there is no general 1,2,3 answer to nostrification issues. One way that the Center and the forum can assist is by explaining (Serbian available on this!!) exactly what these sometimes complex requirements actually mean.

The good news is that if a physican graduated from:

SERBIA INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

SERBIA UNIVERSITY OF BELGRADE

SERBIA UNIVERSITY OF KRAGUJEVAC

SERBIA UNIVERSITY OF NIS

SERBIA UNIVERSITY OF NOVI SAD

SERBIA UNIVERSITY OF PRISTINA

it is possible to enter this process. SERBIA UNIVERSITY OF KRAGUJEVAC for some reason is listed as 1982 - 2005 instead of current. I am not sure what this means, all the others in Serbia are listed as current. This may not mean anything, but if I will try to write to them and ask that they clarify this information. Also I checked for Montenegro and did not see anything listed, but I am not sure if they have a univeristy program there for medical doctors?

I hope that this information is somewhat helpful. I wish the answer could have been more simple.