IAC Board

Moje danasnje polaganje TOEFLa

bajancica

Dear Bojana,

Thanks for sharing this. We tell them and we tell them....the iBT is really a challenge no matter how good your English skills are, because it is integrated, meaning they ask the student to perform a variety of tasks that are academic in nature. However, if a student does not arrive at the exam expecting this - it really catches a person off a balance. The iBT really asks students to perform tasks that are standard in an American high school classroom - note-taking, verbal feedback during an academic lecture, quick, off-the-cuff responses to academic material - it can really come as a surprise if a person has never done anything like this before.

So what's your next step?

Elz

• 2 weeks later...

@Bojana

S obzirom da ja polazem TOEFL za neki dan u Nisu, bas me interesuju tvoji utisci: da li je bilo tesko i kako si ti licno zadovoljna onim sto si uradila? Naravno, kada budu stigli rezultati, obavesti nas!

Jos jedno pitanje: da li se tokom pisanja Integrated Essay-a tekst koji se prvobitno cita i dalje vidi na ekranu, ili se sklanja nakon 3 minuta koliko je predvidjeno za citanje?

P.S. I meni je Writing i Speaking section najveci problem, koliko god da sam ga vezbala. :)

Dear Elz,

I haven't seen your post till now. Sorry for that. Well, I had the GRE in Zagreb seven days ago. Results: Verbal:320. Math: 530. I am still waiting for Analitical Writing score. I can not say I am pleased with results, but i did my best. I was up to my neck with arragements and -must read-learn- things ,so I was not able to improve my score significantly. But, my TOEFL score is what scares me the most, since I think I did worse than I had expected. I deeply regret not taking one before, but ...

It is good lesson for some time to come. :)

I am writing my Statement of Purpose these days. There is one more thing I would like to ask you in regard to transcripts. I am third year now, so I have been wondering, would it be ok if I list courses I will be attending during fourth year? Since they are of great importance to the field of graduate study I am about to apply to...Or it would be enough to mention them while writing my Statement...

I will come to Centre one of these days. Need to ask about Fedex and all... There is not too much time left... ;)

Best regards,

Bojana!

Cao Tijana!

Kao sto rekoh, nisam zadovoljna, ali ne zato sto nisam znala,razumela engleski, vec zato sto nisam bila upoznata sa procedurom pa sam bila zatecena. Nije isto citati iz knjigr?ge za pripremu TOEFL-A i izaci na njega. Dakle, velika greska je ne uzeti jedan probni pre zvanicnog, tj. onog cije rezultate saljes. Oni ljudi koji su se se ranije susretali sa testom, uradili su bolje. Rezultate ocekujem ovih dana..javicu naravno.

Ne znam na kom je nivou tvoj engleski, ali mora biti minimum advanced da bi se dobro snasla. Teme koje sam ja imala ticala su se nastanka suncevog sistema,zoologije,astronomije,istorije...Meni nije bilo tesko da ih razumem ali, opet, vremena mi je bilo malo. :)

Text ostaje na ekranu, rekla bih. Samo zapamtis jos i ono sto si cula i eto, piece of cake! ;)

A sto se speaking-a tice....Jako je malo vremena. Na stranu ona prva dva gde dajes svoje misljenje, ali prepricati ono sto si cuo i taj odgovor lepo oblikovati za 45-60 sek...Hmmmm...No, ne brini unapred. Mozda budes imala srece!

Drzim fige i javi sta si uradila!

Ako ima jos nekih pitanja...slobodno!

I ljudi....ako neko vec ima rezultate..neka nam se javi!!!!

Pozdrav!!!!

Bojana

Ja sam imala tu srecu da se dobro naoruzam literaturom i pratecim CD-ovima (McGraw Hill Official Guide to the new iBT kao i Barron's Toefl iBT 2007) i probala par simulacionih testova koje sam pronasla na internetu, tako da sam sa te strane spremna, ali ipak, ipak... Nikad ne mozes biti siguran, a pogotovo me izludjuje to vremensko ogranicenje i snazna koncentracija koju moras da imas u tih 4-5 sati...No, videcu i sama :)

Jos nesto me interesuje: za pisanje eseja se preporucuje minimalan broj reci (za integrated je 150, za independent je 300) Da li na testu postoji neki brojac koji automatski pokazuje trenutni broj, ili ja to moram otprilike da sagledam. Znam da to nije najbitnija stvar u pisanju eseja, ali da se svakako uzima u obzir pri konacnom ocenjivanju....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Devojke :rolleyes: pitanje za vas posto ste prosle polaganje TOEFLa. Koliko je vremena potrebno da se spremi ispit ? Ja od prvog osnovne idem privatno na engleski, ali sam pre 3 godine prestao kada sam krenuo u srednju. Sad planiram da ponovo krenem ne bi li se sto bolje spremio za test.

Unapred hvala na odgovorima.

Dear DavidSrbu,

First of all, you should come to our group advising session on Wednesday at 3.00 p.m. It is free and we provide a great deal of information about continuing studies in the USA. Next, after group advising you can take a free TOEFL placement test to see where you in terms of your English. In addition to being an official site for administering the TOEFL and the GMAT exam, as well as a US State Department certified EducationUSA advising center, we also offer TOEFL preparation classes. Thus, I would advise you to avail yourself of our services. As for how much time it takes to prepare, well that depends on your level of English - just like how long it would take me to prepare for a basketball tournament as opposed to how long it would take Vlada Divac.

Elz :rolleyes:

Imam samo jedan savet: OBAVEZNO pre polaganja odradite probnu verziju u Centru. Ja nisam odradila i pogresila sam. To mi je bilo jasno, cim sam danas skinula slusalice! I veliko hvala nasem administratoru , Draganu!

Pozdrav!

Bojana!!!

Cao Bojana,da li si se spremala za test u centru ili privatno,jer ja treba da krenem u sve to ovih dana pa mi trebaju neke informacije.Unapred zahvalna Blondy

:rolleyes:

Ares, sorry because when I pulled up new posts, I just saw the last one - your speed and agility slipped past me!

The TOEFL credentials are generally the most widely accepted. For example, at Cambridge University, the graduate admissions requirements accept IELTS as the preferred test, but also accept TOEFL, however they are silent on acceptance of FCE or CAE. Also, a majority of schools want to see English proficiency credentials that are not more than two years old.

This said and since I am TESOL certified, let me say this, although the tests are different in terms of the format and skills tested - the new iBT seems, in most cases, to be a bit more demanding than the FCE - texts are more like those in university textbooks, the listening sections are at the level of a lecture in a university classroom. However, if a student did well on FCE, I believe that an overview of the iBT format and a couple of simulations to provide a real feel for the exam, would be about all that was needed to do really well on the iBT. Of course the same goes for the CAE.

Over the years I have noticed that many students in Serbia that already hold excellent English language credentials resist the idea of having to fulfill a TOEFL requirement. This is not the best strategy - sending in a great TOEFL score that you already know you can get works to the student's advantage.

Imagine that a Teaching Assistant from University of Belgrade - Language Department had to sit for the TOEFL - even though he was teaching in English and his qualifications were absolutely sterling. Imagine that he scored 119 out of 120 on the iBT. Imagine that he was provided full funding for his PhD studies at Yale. Oh, I forgot, you don't have to imagine it - it really happened. So try to look at the language requirements not as something that you want to get out of...but as just another way to showcase your talents and impress the committee.

Elz