IAC Board

problems with application

Well, I applied for Master of music program at University of Illinois (and for Graduate assistantship-of course), and after that they sent me an email with additional requests (because their web site is not working) such as:

"The International Student Verification form"

"The Declaration and Certification of Finances form"

and these are usual requests for the I-20 not for audition/interview. Of course they can ask anything they want, but they are also wrote me "NOTE: Your application will NOT be reviewed until all components are received. Please be sure to submit all materials by DECEMBER 10."

So, do you think there is a way to avoid this cause there is no way anyone can find these 50 000 till December 10?

(They were sweet so they extended the deadline because of the problems with their web site).

Thank you.

Well, I applied for Master of music program at University of Illinois (and for Graduate assistantship-of course), and after that they sent me an email with additional requests (because their web site is not working) such as:

"The International Student Verification form"

"The Declaration and Certification of Finances form"

and these are usual requests for the I-20 not for audition/interview. Of course they can ask anything they want, but they are also wrote me "NOTE: Your application will NOT be reviewed until all components are received. Please be sure to submit all materials by DECEMBER 10."

So, do you think there is a way to avoid this cause there is no way anyone can find these 50 000 till December 10?

(They were sweet so they extended the deadline because of the problems with their web site).

Thank you.

Call up the admissions office and ask them! That's the safest bet! Since you're running out of time, find the PHONE NUMBER and contact them; e-mails might take too long!

As far as I remember, I had to fill out forms of finances even BEFORE I got accepted to my college, not to mention for the I-20 Form. The finances forms are a MUST for the I-20, but they were also a part of the registration procedure for my college.

Furthermore, the Institution needs to know how much money you're willing to spend on them initially, so that they can determine the finanicial aid package for you, because the deal is that you can get accepted, but they might NOT cover your entire tuition, room and board, books. etc.! And, because you might not end up having full scholarship, they need to maximize their overall financial aid, and give you their financial offer! The Institution can still hope that you might accept their offer, and end up paying, for example $10,000 per year! I hope this makes sense to you.

Dule

Call up the admissions office and ask them! That's the safest bet! Since you're running out of time, find the PHONE NUMBER and contact them; e-mails might take too long!

As far as I remember, I had to fill out forms of finances even BEFORE I got accepted to my college, not to mention for the I-20 Form. The finances forms are a MUST for the I-20, but they were also a part of the registration procedure for my college.

Furthermore, the Institution needs to know how much money you're willing to spend on them initially, so that they can determine the finanicial aid package for you, because the deal is that you can get accepted, but they might NOT cover your entire tuition, room and board, books. etc.! And, because you might not end up having full scholarship, they need to maximize their overall financial aid, and give you their financial offer! The Institution can still hope that you might accept their offer, and end up paying, for example $10,000 per year! I hope this makes sense to you.

Dule

It does make sense, but still that's not an excuse for them and the whole conception with charging 100 dollars without telling that in advance, but thanks anyway.

M

Hey Dule thanks much - we are having two educational events at the same time, so we have not had access to the forum for a few days.

Okay, just to reinforce what Dule said to you - US rules and regs state that before the I-20 can be issued, the costs for your first year of education must be covered. Thus you must begin to submit the documentation, which in the first round will have the documentation of what funds you have available to apply to your education. Then after your application is reviewed, if you are accepted and if it is determined that you will receive funding for your studies from the school itself, that will be added to form.

Now as for this comment:

It does make sense, but still that's not an excuse for them and the whole conception with charging 100 dollars without telling that in advance, but thanks anyway.

First of all, the certification of finances for international students is not just university policy, it is regulation that all schools must comply with before issuing the I-20 - so this is going to happen no matter where you apply to school.

In other words, thorough research on your part, concerning the school admissions process for international students would have revealed this, in fact the most basic research would have brought this up through google.

The school charges processing fees for going through your entire application package, which gets very complex for an international graduate school applicant. Remember you are asking for very extensive funding, often in the amount of more than $45,000 USD per year from the school, so it is best to keep a positive and cooperative attitude throughout the process. We know it is frustrating to comply with all of these regulations, but that is why you need to read through everything very carefully. Hang in there and check, check, and recheck! For example, I was able to pull up this immediately:

http://www.music.uiuc.edu/admissionsGraduateAdmissions.php

All of the information for international students is covered. Another area concerns the instruction packet, where it states that students should read the instructions before filling out the application:

http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/admissions/instructions/02b.cfm

Once again this mentioned. It is very important that you read the instructions in detail! The reason for this is because it is all very complicated - if it were easy, there would not an instruction form - you could just jump in and start putting in your name and address. Thus, to avoid these problems in the future, please pour over the instructions about everything that you submit. It really increases your chances as an applicant when everything is done properly and gives you an opportunity to show them what a good candidate that you are and that you are the one that they want to give the money to!

Elz

Hey Dule thanks much - we are having two educational events at the same time, so we have not had access to the forum for a few days.

Okay, just to reinforce what Dule said to you - US rules and regs state that before the I-20 can be issued, the costs for your first year of education must be covered. Thus you must begin to submit the documentation, which in the first round will have the documentation of what funds you have available to apply to your education. Then after your application is reviewed, if you are accepted and if it is determined that you will receive funding for your studies from the school itself, that will be added to form.

Now as for this comment:

First of all, the certification of finances for international students is not just university policy, it is regulation that all schools must comply with before issuing the I-20 - so this is going to happen no matter where you apply to school.

In other words, thorough research on your part, concerning the school admissions process for international students would have revealed this, in fact the most basic research would have brought this up through google.

The school charges processing fees for going through your entire application package, which gets very complex for an international graduate school applicant. Remember you are asking for very extensive funding, often in the amount of more than $45,000 USD per year from the school, so it is best to keep a positive and cooperative attitude throughout the process. We know it is frustrating to comply with all of these regulations, but that is why you need to read through everything very carefully. Hang in there and check, check, and recheck! For example, I was able to pull up this immediately:

http://www.music.uiuc.edu/admissionsGraduateAdmissions.php

All of the information for international students is covered. Another area concerns the instruction packet, where it states that students should read the instructions before filling out the application:

http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/admissions/instructions/02b.cfm

Once again this mentioned. It is very important that you read the instructions in detail! The reason for this is because it is all very complicated - if it were easy, there would not an instruction form - you could just jump in and start putting in your name and address. Thus, to avoid these problems in the future, please pour over the instructions about everything that you submit. It really increases your chances as an applicant when everything is done properly and gives you an opportunity to show them what a good candidate that you are and that you are the one that they want to give the money to!

Elz

The reason I said that is the fact their web site was completely empty at that time, and they forgot to mention those requests in their email when I asked them for the application procedure. The main thing is that they also ask for live auditioning, which means they are not making their final decision based only on papers.

Anyway, thank you so much for your time and the research :XmasROFL:

Mina

Just hang in there and stay flexible. Everyone, including the admission office, knows that there are so many hoops for students to jump through. Anytime a web page is down or something like that - its a great time for you to hit the forum and get us into action. Probably this certification of finances is the greatest point of confusion for international students. It is a new regulation often the language on the website that schools use to explain it is confusing and makes students think that they have to have the funds to show in advance.

And yes, at the end of the day, it is usually the audition that makes a huge amount of difference for you lucky ones with talent! Also I am not sure if Lynn has grad studies for music, but you might want to check because we have a wonderful relationship with them!

Anything else like that comes up for you Mina, ask us...

Elz

Anything else like that comes up for you Mina, ask us...

Elz

Hey Elz,

I just got an email from a professor that works at University of Illinois, and he suggested me a possible solution for my application issues and those bank statements that stress me :closedeyes: so I was wondering if you could read it and tell me your opinion pls? Here it is...

Dear Mina,

I have many students who have been in your situation re application and

financial status. It may seem a little crazy but those are the rules of the game.

What you should do is find somebody from your friends or family who is willing

to attest to support you . They will not be liable for any of it, you can reassure

them of that- nobody ever has been. It is especially true, since you would not be

able to come unless you received financial aid from the school.

Best wishes for the holidays.

IH

Dear Mina,

This is a new rule from the game and this is a part of the game that the professor is not that familiar with. There is no need, just as Dule said, and I concurred, for you to have this attest to the 50,000 USD. The entire amount must be covered prior to issuing in the I-20. The I-20 is not issued until you are admitted to the school and when you are admitted to the school, the funding that you receive from the department will be included. It works just like Dule says.

Notice they want to receive the papers - read exactly what they said...you just need to complete the certification of finances with what funds you have...and not to account for where you are going to get 50,000.

This is what you need to do - exactly what we said, do not stress about that point anymore and move on to other things and get stress about those instead :closedeyes:

Elz