IAC Board

Interviews

Hi Elizabeth,

I want to ask you a few question about the admissions interview. Namely, I am interested whether international applicants have an interview (I heard that most have a phone interview) and what types of question does the admission committe ask?

Thanks. Best regards,

Marko

Here's first-hand information about interviews (I had an interview, so this is my experience with how it goes):

If for the scholarship you've applied says that interview is required, then be absolutely sure that you'll have to do it! Know this - same rules apply to everybody, especially when big money (~$150,000 to $200,000 for 4 years) is in play! If you're not in the United States, and are not able to come to college campus for the interview, then the committee is going to call you!

The committee usually consists of college's "honchos" - directors, and assistant directors (maybe alumnis and/or students). For example, I know in my (phone) interview, there was 8 people; I know for sure that Director of Admissions, Director of Financial Aid, assistant to the college's Provost, and a student that had that scholarship were on the committee.

Now - the most important - what are they gonna ask you?! I would be prepared to ask the following questions (I can 100% guarantee you that you will be asked one of these questions):

- What made you choose our college?

- What are you planning on studying at our college (be sure to answer "why")?

- Where do you see yourself in 5 years (alluding to after you graduate)?

- Why do you think you would be a good candidate for us?

- Why do you feel you should be awarded the scholarship?

- Personal questions on leadership skills, academic and/or sports achievements, habits/hobbies!

Here's a couple of tips for doing the phone interview:

- FIRST AND FOREMOST - Because they can NOT see you, you can take advantage of that, and have some notes prepared! If you want, you can write THE ENITRE answers, but just do NOT let them figure out that you're reading the answers!!! That would be kinda bad for you :)

- Be confident in what you are saying, and try to relax. Even if you are feeling nervous, the committee will understand, cuz 1) you're an international student, and 2) you're under big pressure... The comittee will always try to guide you along the way, so, just take it easy and take a couple of deep breaths before you begin.

- You can rehearse OUT LOUD some of the answers! It'll boost your self-confidence significantly! If you can have actual people to listen to you (family/friends), that would be great!

- Be honest in your answers! If there's any inconsistency in your application documents, and what you're telling them over the phone, they WILL know! They are very meticulous in their work, especially for big money!!!!

- Don't be afraid to make a joke on something! Actually, humor is desirable and preferred!!! That doesn't mean that you should say "Hey, let me tell you a joke", but just make a witty and humorous remark where you find appropriate. Americans HIGHLY APPRECIATE good sense of humor!!!

- Do NOT be modest about yourself, and what you accomplished in your life so far, but don't make them believe that you are bragging! I always like to say: "Be modest with your achievements, but don't be modest with the traits that made those achievements possible!" It is a WAR out there, and you are fighting for your shiny medal!!! Don't let others claim that medal!

- BE YOURSELF!!!

Also, when you're talking over the phone, they'll probably say "How're you doing", "What's up", and "How's it going"! Those are salutations, and you do NOT need to ACTUALLY answer them - just say "I'm doing alright", "It's going OK" etc. If they ask you "What's up", you can say "Nothing much... Just talking to you guys" (there's the humor thing)!

Alright, I think I've said enough... Admin or Elizabeth, if you have anything else to add, be my guest! See y'all later!

First Dule, Great job...Now I would just add a few things. Just as there is a great deal of difference between undergraduate admissions and graduate admissions, so there is a great deal of difference between the two interviews.

However, hopefully you have a copy of everything that you sent to the university in either case. That should be with you when you have the interview. Now some many undergraduate interviews are conducted by alumni from that school, so if you are interviewing with an alumni, you can also ask the alumni about their experience at the school and what they feel that their education there did for them. This is a very good opportunity for you to get a picture of what life is like at that school, which is very important for an international student.

Next if the interview is with an admissions official, this is also a good time for you to ask about what it is like for international students there, if there are any international students from your area, what sort of orientation you can expect, just questions to show that you are truly interested and have prepared for the interview. Take care not to ask about information that is already on the school website. That shows that you are poorly informed and have not put out much effort. (Also this is an old advisor trick: the only way you can make sure that you do not ask such a question is by doing thorough research of the site, and that in turn should heighten your curiousity about the school and raise some questions.)

Graduate students should be very prepared to discuss their academic accomplishments and statement of purpose.

Remember if you have made it this far, you are a serious contender in their books, so this is the time to really start to review the department that you are interested in and to re-read some of the professor's work. Keep up with what projects the department is working and prepare yourself accordingly. However, the graduate student interview is a bit more formal than the undergraduate interview, and my guess is that for that one, they will never say..."What's up?" unless Dule or I start doing these interviews, ha ha. However, Dule is correct in that humor definitely can have its place and that is true for both situations.

Also if there was anything in your application package such as a bad academic year..be prepared to discuss it if they ask. Think of an interview as an opportunity. Most students that we have worked with have told us that they had a really great experience with their phone interview, it put them even more at ease.

I hope this helps.