IAC Board

Oblasti iz matematike za novi GRE

bajancica

Gde bih mogla da saznam koje tacno oblasti iz matematike je potrebno spremiti za revised GRE?

Na koji nacin mogu da se informisem o datumima za polaganje GRE u Zagrebu ( pri cemu ponovo mislim na novu verziju, s' obzirom na to da je na zvanicnom sajtu ETS-a pise da bi trebalo proveriti na kojim lokacijama i od kada ce se davati novi GRE) ?

Hvala!!!!

Well GRE test takers, I would like to add some information on the new GRE. I was fortunate enough to be at an EducationUSA conference where ETS actually gave a presentation on the new GRE. In many wpreays, I do not believe that the new GRE is going to be harder for international students. For example, the reading passages appear to be much shorter, which will provide more time for students to "dig around" in the passages. Previously the passages were so long that it was difficult for international students to get through the passages. Next, there will be some new types of questions, however, I have examined that material and I have found some material that was previously used in other types of tests - these are compatible to what will be presented on the new GRE and we have been incorporating these questions into our GRE seminars.

I have not had an opportunity to exam the math section in detail yet, but we did provide our GRE group with a practice test based on the new Math, so I will soon be able to get some feedback on the math perceptions.

We will be following these developments closely. Also if you visit the official GRE website (www.gre.org), you will be able to view some sample questions and get an idea of what you challenges you face.

I hope that everyone visiting this forum has attended a graduate group advising. If you have not attended a seminar, I would encourage to call our office at 334 5227, and place your name on the list to attend. It provides a very good overview the entire admissions process. It takes about 2 hours and I do not think that it is the most exciting event, however, it really does seem to help. Often as students get closer to the admissions process, filling out the applications, writing up personal statements, they attend again, because their focus is different.

My instincts are that the math sectioin is not going to as challenging as the reading section and the essay section. In the past, it was possible for students to approach the essay questions using template formulas. Now however, the new exam is going to require that students have a rather strong background in American-style academic writing skills. The reading, although the analogies and antonyms will be gone (AMEN!), is going to require some rather complex knowledge, that I am sure most grad school candidates have, but translating that into English will be a challenge.

The really good news is that if you are planning to take the new GRE - it looks as if there will not have to be trip to Zagreb....it looks as if we will be able to offer it at our center and we are thrilled with this possibility, but remember, we are talking about the new exam only.