IAC Board

Enrollment Decision

Hi

I?ve been accepted to several universities and I have narrowed the decision down to two of them: the University of Texas - Austin and the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. The U of Minnesota has also offered me a scholarship in the amount of 12,000 USD. I already have a sponsor who is willing to cover the full cost of any university I choose to go to. The U of Texas costs 35,000 USD and U of Minnesota costs 38,000 USD (26,000 USD considering the scholarship they have offered me). I applied to the business schools of these universities (McCombs in Texas and Carlson in Minnesota), and I would like to major in Finance. I have to decide as soon as possible. Based on my research I have found out that the U of Texas has a more highly ranked business school than the U of Minnesota. But I am not sure if the difference between these two universities is that big for me to give up the scholarship I have received.

I hope you can give me some helpful advice because I'm not sure which one to choose.

Hi

I?ve been accepted to several universities and I have narrowed the decision down to two of them: the University of Texas - Austin and the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. The U of Minnesota has also offered me a scholarship in the amount of 12,000 USD. I already have a sponsor who is willing to cover the full cost of any university I choose to go to. The U of Texas costs 35,000 USD and U of Minnesota costs 38,000 USD (26,000 USD considering the scholarship they have offered me). I applied to the business schools of these universities (McCombs in Texas and Carlson in Minnesota), and I would like to major in Finance. I have to decide as soon as possible. Based on my research I have found out that the U of Texas has a more highly ranked business school than the U of Minnesota. But I am not sure if the difference between these two universities is that big for me to give up the scholarship I have received.

I hope you can give me some helpful advice because I'm not sure which one to choose.

first share with us your precious experience, how you have enrolled to University and got that scholarship. What was decisive. Can somebody with smaller GPA fall in some better american University or the grades are most important? second, to reply on your question. I think that, its dull to give up that big scholarship because one University is few place better ranked than the other. Its senselles. Especcially if you dont have money. I hope that I have helped you.

first share with us your precious experience, how you have enrolled to University and got that scholarship. What was decisive. Can somebody with smaller GPA fall in some better american University or the grades are most important? second, to reply on your question. I think that, its dull to give up that big scholarship because one University is few place better ranked than the other. Its senselles. Especcially if you dont have money. I hope that I have helped you.

Well first of all I have to tell you that even though the GPA is certainly very important it doesn't have to be decisive. My GPA from high school isn't that good. For all 4 years 3.77 (5.0 maximum). But I think that they take into consideration that we have a lot more subjects than high schools in the USA. I also think that good scores on the SAT and TOEFL helped me get accepted. 1990 on the SAT Reasoning. Math-710, CR-620, Writing-660. TOEFL computer based-280 (essay-6). SAT Subject Maths II-670, SAT Subject World History-660. Then the essay you write to the university can also help you if it's good, and so can any extracurricular activities. When I applied to the universities around October I also wasn't sure what to expect and didn't know what my chances were. I was absolutely thrilled when I found out that I was accepted to all of them and I think that I have made a good selection. Wherever I decide to go I'm sure it will be great.

The U of Minnesota has offered me a Global Excellence Scholarship. Every international student who gets accepted to their university is considered for this scholarship. They have offered me 12,000 USD. They have also sent me alot of mails since they accepted me. But overall I think that the U of Texas has a better business school. If anyone can really compare these two universities in as many important aspects as possible I would really appreciate it. Any new information can be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Well first of all I have to tell you that even though the GPA is certainly very important it doesn't have to be decisive. My GPA from high school isn't that good. For all 4 years 3.77 (5.0 maximum). But I think that they take into consideration that we have a lot more subjects than high schools in the USA. I also think that good scores on the SAT and TOEFL helped me get accepted. 1990 on the SAT Reasoning. Math-710, CR-620, Writing-660. TOEFL computer based-280 (essay-6). SAT Subject Maths II-670, SAT Subject World History-660. Then the essay you write to the university can also help you if it's good, and so can any extracurricular activities. When I applied to the universities around October I also wasn't sure what to expect and didn't know what my chances were. I was absolutely thrilled when I found out that I was accepted to all of them and I think that I have made a good selection. Wherever I decide to go I'm sure it will be great.

The U of Minnesota has offered me a Global Excellence Scholarship. Every international student who gets accepted to their university is considered for this scholarship. They have offered me 12,000 USD. They have also sent me alot of mails since they accepted me. But overall I think that the U of Texas has a better business school. If anyone can really compare these two universities in as many important aspects as possible I would really appreciate it. Any new information can be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

yout got to be kidding! you very made me happy. just 3.77! similary like me, but I dont need scholarship. i am glad that that doesnt make some role in whole admission. I have very little average point grade so I have fear that nobody doesnt let me on his University. I have many other successess in swimming, writing and projects, but they arent recognize till now. So I want to come in America where somebody maybe will recognize me and my potencial and give me some chance in life what I havent hear.

how did you get that good score on those tests? I dont know from what I can learn? From dictionary and grammar or what? I dont know thousands english words and my vocabular is very week. I am very happy because of you and I must tell you that you where very lucky because of all. I dont have in life much luck, so I dont know what will be from all that.

About your school, I heard that University and little difference beetwen them doesnt play that big role in whole of that than your capacity and your presentation and how to "sell" yourself best to companies. But if you have money than choose better University of those two! I dont know if anybody on this forum knows about that miniature differences. I also thinking that University in Texas ili litlle better than in Minesotta. You can see that and how much cost tuition per year..

Dear Jovan,

Congratulations, well done! Yes, GPA is just a piece of the puzzle, but it is also often tied to the size of financial assistance. You are also correct in that they look at how many classes students take here and it makes a great deal of difference. However, I do want to caution gentle readers that are looking for something like a full financial aid package that it does get more difficult to get a full package without really high GPAs...

Well in your decision making there are quite a few factors for you to think about. Is it possible for you to come into our center and look up some of the information in our books about schools? These decisions are tough. You can check the statistics on each school, class size, teacher to student ratio...read what other students have said about the schools. These things all help. It works a bit better than reading the full colored information on the schools since these always say the same thing...

Have you checked the cost of living for the two places? Although you have someone to fund you, you might want to take that into account. I know that UT-Austin has been voted as one of the best campuses to live on in the United States. I will have a chance to visit Univeristy of Minn - Twin Cities in May, but that will not help you a great deal now.

Have you had an opportunity to participate in any online chats with students at the schools? Sometimes you can ask the school to put you in touch with a current student. Each campus has a heartbeat and soul that is all its own, so it is tough to try to tell someone where they would fit. Also the financial aid package means a great deal.

I suggest that you visit our library and start reading up as much as you can...especially Fiske's guide. You might also visit the site...www.collegeconfidential.com and go to the campus visits section and see what visitors have had to say...as well as the place where current students talk about the school.

I hope this helps some...

Elz

Dear Jovan,

Congratulations, well done! Yes, GPA is just a piece of the puzzle, but it is also often tied to the size of financial assistance. You are also correct in that they look at how many classes students take here and it makes a great deal of difference. However, I do want to caution gentle readers that are looking for something like a full financial aid package that it does get more difficult to get a full package without really high GPAs...

Well in your decision making there are quite a few factors for you to think about. Is it possible for you to come into our center and look up some of the information in our books about schools? These decisions are tough. You can check the statistics on each school, class size, teacher to student ratio...read what other students have said about the schools. These things all help. It works a bit better than reading the full colored information on the schools since these always say the same thing...

Have you checked the cost of living for the two places? Although you have someone to fund you, you might want to take that into account. I know that UT-Austin has been voted as one of the best campuses to live on in the United States. I will have a chance to visit Univeristy of Minn - Twin Cities in May, but that will not help you a great deal now.

Have you had an opportunity to participate in any online chats with students at the schools? Sometimes you can ask the school to put you in touch with a current student. Each campus has a heartbeat and soul that is all its own, so it is tough to try to tell someone where they would fit. Also the financial aid package means a great deal.

I suggest that you visit our library and start reading up as much as you can...especially Fiske's guide. You might also visit the site...www.collegeconfidential.com and go to the campus visits section and see what visitors have had to say...as well as the place where current students talk about the school.

Elz

I am hoping that Jovan will help me, and tell me upon which books did he learn and pass Toefl and GRE

Dear Jovan,

Elz

Thank you for your information. Especially for reminding me of the site www.collegeconfidential.com. I visited it a couple of months ago but that was before I got accepted to the universities. I think I'm going to go with Texas. I'll try to stop by your center today. I could also use a few tips with my rejection letters to the other universities.

Thank you once again for your help! :-)

I am hoping that Jovan will help me, and tell me upon which books did he learn and pass Toefl and GRE

I'm sorry but I can't help you very much. :-( I studied for the SAT test from Kaplan's guidebook. For the TOEFL I just took a couple of practice tests from some CD that my friend gave me. When I was a child I lived abroad and attended english schools so I really didn't need to practice english that much for the tests. I didn't have any books to help me with my vocabulary so I don't know any to recommend. Best luck in your studying and I hope you do your tests well!

I'm sorry but I can't help you very much. :-( I studied for the SAT test from Kaplan's guidebook. For the TOEFL I just took a couple of practice tests from some CD that my friend gave me. When I was a child I lived abroad and attended english schools so I really didn't need to practice english that much for the tests. I didn't have any books to help me with my vocabulary so I don't know any to recommend. Best luck in your studying and I hope you do your tests well!

ok, I understand now. You know so good English because of that. I dont have other solution but to study English as much, as I can. I probably will not succeed already this summer, but for 9 month definitely I can learn English that good to pass that exam.

Hi

a za?to pričamo na engleskom kad oboje znamo isti jezik? eto, ne znam kako si ti upao na taj prosjek i svaka čast, ali ja imam ne?to ni?i od tebe i prijavila sam se na usrano neko lijevo Sveučili?te i to on line. U ?ivotopisu imam svakakve zavidne stvari osim prosjeka. I čini mi se da me neće primiti. A em nije neko sa reputacijom, em je on line, pa mi nije jasno. A ti čak i ?kolarinu dobio. očito će moje studiranje ostati nemoguća misija, pa mi se vi?e ni na engleskom ne da pričati