IAC Board

Lazar Krstic

lazar84

Dear All,

My name is Lazar Krstic and I am a member of the Yale Class of 2008, graduating in December 07. I am double-majoring in Ethics, Politics, and Economics and Mathematics. My stay here is fully funded by Yale's need-based financial aid. Outside of school, I have a job or two here at Yale at any given point and am involved in a frat and a mini-student-investment-group. On breaks (and weekends sometimes!), I travel a lot, with my favorite destination being -- go figure -- Serbia. Speaking of Serbia, I grew up in Nis, where I went to the Bora Stankovic High School. I also intend to return to Belgrade for at least a couple of years after completing my studies at Yale.

When I was applying to schools in the US in late 2002, I relied mostly on hear-say and advice from my friends from the Petnica Science Center. With IAC now in place, everybody can get informed about the application process, schools and all other relevant issues. Although I am not formally part of the IAC, please feel free to contact me via this forum if you have any questions related to the above.

Cheers,

Lazar

Lazar did not go through IAC...we did not exist then, but all he needs to do is bring us a photo and he will get a card - consider it the equivalent of an honorary PhD...he he. Our admin is getting ready to promote him with some tag line...as well as Giga and Alexa.

Elz

Dear All,

My name is Lazar Krstic and I am a member of the Yale Class of 2008, graduating in December 07. I am double-majoring in Ethics, Politics, and Economics and Mathematics. My stay here is fully funded by Yale's need-based financial aid. Outside of school, I have a job or two here at Yale at any given point and am involved in a frat and a mini-student-investment-group. On breaks (and weekends sometimes!), I travel a lot, with my favorite destination being -- go figure -- Serbia. Speaking of Serbia, I grew up in Nis, where I went to the Bora Stankovic High School. I also intend to return to Belgrade for at least a couple of years after completing my studies at Yale.

When I was applying to schools in the US in late 2002, I relied mostly on hear-say and advice from my friends from the Petnica Science Center. With IAC now in place, everybody can get informed on the application process, schools and all other relevant issues. Although I am not formally part of the IAC, please feel free to contact me via this forum if you have any questions related to the above.

Cheers,

Lazar

Lazar did not go through IAC...we did not exist then, but all he needs to do is bring us a photo and he will get a card - consider it the equivalent of an honorary PhD...he he. Our admin is getting ready to promote him with some tag line...as well as Giga and Alexa.

Elz

Oh, geez, speaking of cards, I also gotta take a picture for the IAC card. Hehe... For all this time, I didn't get it... :)

Lazar, can you write a little about what is Yale like, how does the school work and what are the people like? are there a lot of international students? is the campus big and isolated or is it close to New Heaven? is it difficult to obtain a need-based scholarship?

Thanx :)

Dear Zindi,

Since I know that Lazar is a bit engaged these days, I will fill in a few statistics for you and we can await his more vivid description of life at Yale.

Here is an overview of the Yale student body:

Currently there are 5,303 students enrolled at Yale

49% female

93% are from out of state

8% are International Students

50% of the students describe themselves as Caucasian

These are the most current figures from Princeton Review. The 8% is a pretty healthy international student body. In addition, 93% of the students being from out of state means that campus life is quite rich. In terms of scholarships, I can pretty much answer that question for you - scholarships are available at Yale and the last time I checked, Yale was still need-blind to international students, in other words does not consider your financial situation for admissions. However, Yale will require, as do most institutions offering scholarships, an excellent academic record and very good SAT scores - admission will be competitive so students applying there will need to be prepared to present themselves as quite competitive in terms of academics. I think that Lazar or some of the other students at Yale can also provide their opinions on this matter. However, my experience with the students that we have worked with has been that it is a good idea to look at several institutions when applying and looking for financial assistance - it is there and Zindi if you are a good student you can most likely obtain an attractive financial aid package at one of the many good schools. You might want to download our most recent bulletin http://www.iacbg.org/.res/File/bulletin14.pdf and read Giga's Undergraduate Guide about selecting a school. He speaks quite openly about the schools search and competitive admission process.

I hope this helps a bit until Lazar answers :)

Lazar, can you write a little about what is Yale like, how does the school work and what are the people like? are there a lot of international students? is the campus big and isolated or is it close to New Heaven? is it difficult to obtain a need-based scholarship?

Thanx :)