IAC Board

GRE analiza rezultata

In general, these results will naturally be quite differently by different admissions departments. However, these are not sterling GRE scores. What the percentiles mean is where the test taker ranks when compared with the other students all over the world that took that exam. In other words, in this case:

42% means that the test taker scored better than 42% of the other test takers, and so on. One key to remember when analyzing GRE scores is that the lowest possible score is 200 points.

To give a general idea of how scores are viewed, The Ohio State University at Marion has some information on their website to assist students in grasping the implications of their scores:

Masters degree programs have lower requirements than doctorate programs. For example, in psychology the average GRE V+E for a masters program is about 1030, for practice-oriented or applied Ph.D. programs the average V+E is about 1100, and for research focused Ph.D. programs the average V+E is about 1200. Know the desires of the programs to which you wish to apply.

A sample using 31 students who took the GRE achieved the mean scores as follows:

V= 460 (8 of 31 or 26% were above 500)

Q= 530 (21 of 31 or 68% were above 500)

A= 560 (25 of 31 or 81% were above 500)

For all examinees, the Verbal tests tend to produce the lowest scores and the Analytical the highest. In the national norm sample (~575, 000 students over three years):

~ 43% score above 500 on the Verbal

~ 67% score above 500 on the Quantitative

~ 72% score above 500 on the Analytical

This information was taken from http://www.marion.ohio-state.edu/career/gr...tscores.htm#top

Of course any student looking for a financial aid package needs to score as high as possible to increase the chances of financial aid. Graduate Departments like to look at the entire student and it is important that you access your entire academic experience. For example, although these are not sterling GRE scores, perhaps you have some publications or other honors. Most likely with English being your field, the analytical score could probably greatly damage your application package. You will note that the score is in the 14th percentile, which is not a very favorable indicator to an admissions committee in terms of how well you can express your ideas in English.

It is important to think of your scores as they compare with other test takers - this is why the percentile can be so important. In other words, what is in the rest of your application package that can make you more attractive than another student who scored above the 50th percentile in each area? Or someone who scored in the 60th? 70th?

The admissions process is often more art than science, but based on our experience, an admissions committee will look at these scores and wonder why?

I recommend that you retest. I am sure that these scores do not reflect your true abilities.

Elz

• 3 months later...

I called ETS phone service today and got following results:

Verbal 600 85%

Quantitative 710 74%

Analytical 3.5 18%

I guess it means I did pretty good on Verbal and Quantitative, but I am a bit dissapointed about my Analytical Section Score- I really thought I did better!

Any comments?

These are really good solid scores, especially for your field. Nice high percentiles on verbal and quantative. Yes, the analytical is not so good, but you will have a chance to address that in your admissions packet. I believe that as an international student writing essays under timed conditions without an opportunity to revise them, it can be difficult. Some of our students do really well on the writing, but you may not have had enough time to dedicate to doing a great deal of writing in English every day. On the other hand, I think it is unusual to see such good results in the other areas and a rather weak score on the analytical.

I would be very interested to see your full score report when it comes in and see what happened.

Just stay with a very good statement of purpose and I would honestly enclose a note on the GRE scores stating that you were rather surprised by the writing, but that you also believe that although the writing may be your weakest link that you are prepared to work on it more. Also, I can look at some of your previous essays and write up comment if that will help. Overall, I am really pleased with your results - those are good scores for anyone and great for an international.

Hey, what was your essay score on the TOEFL? That is another way you can shore up your profile. You did quite well on the TOEFL...I know the TOEFL writing is not so hard, but on the other hand, if your TOEFL essay score was quite good, there should not be a wide point spread between the two...it may have just been an off day for your writing.

Svaki Cast again...

Elz

Hey, what was your essay score on the TOEFL? That is another way you can shore up your profile. You did quite well on the TOEFL...I know the TOEFL writing is not so hard, but on the other hand, if your TOEFL essay score was quite good, there should not be a wide point spread between the two...it may have just been an off day for your writing.

On the TOEFL Writing section I had a maximum result : 30 points! Besides, I was rather satisfied with how I did my essays on the GRE and Christopher always had nice things to say about my writing. I'm sure you can find some of my essays in my folder at the Center.

That's why I'm so suprised. I will be sure to mention that in my personal statements. Have you had the time the read the ones I sent you?

I hope that the Score Report will have more details..

I wrote to Pratt - I messaged Pratt - I called Pratt - and could not get through to the admissions people. I did get one department, but it was not the one we needed.

I will go over your personal statements tomorrow. I had a truly busy day. Tomorrow however, will be peaceful and tranquil.

Elz