IAC Board

Letters of recommendation!

Dear Elz,

Would you be so kind as to help me deal with some doubts I have in regard to letters of recommendation? There is reference form I need to fill in and send, along with my professors' letters. Please, take a look. http://gradadmissions.osu.edu/download_materials.htm

Here are the questions:

1. Is it ok if I fill them using my hand-writing i.e. is there any other way they shuld /could be filled in?

2. How am I supposed to write professors' titles? Just to write : Associate Professor, Professor etc.

3. Do I have to ask them for their home addresses or I can write address of Faculty?

4. When I write the grades, I assume I ll be using American grading sistem? (10=A )

I am grateful in advance.

Dear Bajancica,

You may fill them out with an ink pen and PRINT very neatly. It is also possible to fill them out with the computer, but I would suggest that recruit some technical assistance for that.

You may write the professors titles. In general, the admissions office will be familiar with the titles used here, but you can also look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor to get an idea of what is equivalent.

Yes, the address of the faculty pegged to the department and office number.

No, you will not use American grades. You will use the Serbian grading system. The US Schools know how to evaluate your credentials and the relationship is not exactly linear. This question concerns me because this is explained in the instruction sheet that goes with your application. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE INSTRUCTION SHEET - we do not want you to make a mistake!

Good Luck...and please let us know how things turn out for you.

Elz

Dear Elz,

Actually, I hadn't read that Instruction sheet before you mentioned it. I read instructions from Department's website but it was not enough obviously. Now, I have more questions:

1. Completing the application: Address valid through? We are talking about my email address here, don't we?! No need to write anything here if I have my permanent address, if I am not wrong?!

2. Previous Education: What is post-secondary education? Since I have enrolled fourth year now , do I have to list post-secondary education?

3. Transcripts: I have my transcripts translated into English by sworn-in court translator. Now, I will put them in the envelope and hope that someone at the Faculty will put a stamp/seal (pecat in serbian) on it! :) I am sure you know they are not always willing to cooperate with students... But with stamp, job is done, isn't it?

4. Letters of recommendation. Do I have to put each in separate envelope( along with form filled out of course) or too put them all together in a file? Or each separate letter+form in a file? If in a envelope do my recommenders have to put a stamps/seals on it? Form says that I have to deliver the form and stamped envelope to my recommender, but since I will send them....

5. While listing the courses in a form, under WHEN TAKEN I just have to write academic year? Addresses remains in Serbian language?

6. Do you know if money for application fee will be withdrawn from my bank account immediately same as for TOEFL or GRE or it takes more time? Few days or weeks...

I will come to IAC next Wednesday or Thursday with my application materials to leave them to you, since I will be using FEDEX!

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help!

Kind regards,

Bojana.

For address, I believe they are talking about your mailing address. When students live in student housing, they have a temporary address. I would use my home address and note it as permanent and then change it once I arrive to the university.

Post-secondary education is after high school.

If you can get it stamped, you will be in good condition. Each letter should go in a separate envelop ideally. You can take them to the professors and ask them to write their signatures across the sealed part of the envelop and that will be fine. This is what they would like for you to do.

Yes, when listing courses, you will put when you took those courses.

What happens with the bank, depends on a great many factors, such as when the school actually bills the credit card, that is something that we cannot answer.

However, I want to emphasize one thing to you - concerning your GRE scores - are you aware that these scores are not very favorable? I am a bit surprised that you are continuing with your application process with these GRE scores. You might want to think very carefully about this. I believe that we have talked about this in the past, but I assumed that you would try to prepare, take a prep course, or retake the GRE.

Also, did you finally get the required points for the TOEFL? The schools are pretty serious about these requirements.

I wish you the best, but I worry about these scores.

Elz

Dear Elz,

Thank you for worrying, but there is so need to be worried. I am not saying I will be admitted, but nobody can guaranty that GRE score of 700 would make it more likely for me to be admitted. After all, there are other parts of application which can show my academic abilities better than GRE. My TOEFL is 92 and that is just fine. As I told you before, I am in touch with one of the Graduate from Ohio State, and he told me that GRE scores will not make any problem ( if everything else is good enough). Moreover, at Ohio State, GRE is important for people who are asking for fellowships, and I am not. I am satisfied with TA , and my TOEFL scores are imortant for that. Whatever happens with my application, I will be happy! I got experience that will help me next year , if I dont succeed now. I am only 22, have time gor Graduate studies, dont I? :rolleyes:

There is two more questions you forgot to answer: Am I going to write addresses in Serbian? Under MAJOR in refer. form I should write major from Undergraduate or major field sought?

Thank you, Elz, once again. Hope we will meet when I bring my materials. I have some tiny problems, so I will send it next Tuesday.

Take care and all the best,

Bojana!

Go ahead and write the addresses in English. I am not sure what you mean about the lettters of recommendation and the major - if you mean Major Field of Study, it will be what you have studied.

That is different than the just the word "Major" and these little things make a difference.

Yes, you do have plenty of time. I wish you the best on this. Please do let us know how it goes.

Elz

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

I have a question about sources that actually sign (write) these letters.

It is very simple: Does the letter of recommendation have to be written by university professors or, if I am employed, I could ask my boss or top manager or some expert within a company to write one for me? And apply for scholarship without any letter written by university professors?

Thank you in advance!

Marko

Dear Marko,

That really depends on the program and if the department specifies who they want to hear from. If you have been out of school for a while and if you are working within the field that you are applying to, those references can be fine UNLESS THE SCHOOL SPECIFIES OTHERWISE!

It can be good if you can get one professor to write for you and combine that with a work reference. Everything really depends on your personal circumstances. I am afraid that it would be best if you could provide us with a little more background information because this is really a judgement call at this point and we don't have enough info to make a good call.

Sorry we could provide more solid info. The main thing is that we do not want the department wondering why you could not get a professor to write a letter for you. On the other hand, if you have been out of school for several years, it really makes sense to have letters from your supervisors.

Elz

Dear Elizabeth,

First of all I would like to thank you for the quick response!

I will also provide you with all necessary information!

In 2007 I have graduated from Information science and technology at University of Belgrade. After a month I started working as a software developer in a very good company that exports business software. I plan to work and to progress there (in IS&T field) for a few years and then to apply for PhD in the same field! It means that I am going to be out of school during that period.

Also thought that lattes of recommendation, after years of work experience, would be more valuable!

If I should provide you with more information, please let me know!

Regards

Marko

• 2 weeks later...

Well Marko, If I were you, I would try to get a letter from a professor and a letter from a supervisor. That sounds like a good combination in your case.

Elz

Dear Elizabeth,

First of all I would like to thank you for the quick response!

I will also provide you with all necessary information!

In 2007 I have graduated from Information science and technology at University of Belgrade. After a month I started working as a software developer in a very good company that exports business software. I plan to work and to progress there (in IS&T field) for a few years and then to apply for PhD in the same field! It means that I am going to be out of school during that period.

Also thought that lattes of recommendation, after years of work experience, would be more valuable!

If I should provide you with more information, please let me know!

Regards

Marko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Dear Elz,

I am applying to 5 undergraduate schools this fall.

please answer my questions:

1) How many recomendation letters should I send ?

2) Which proffessors should write them?Those who teach the subjects that I want to study at college or those who know me the best?

3)Should my school send recomendation letters?

Since I just registrated,I am terribly sorry if I repeated questions that already existed somwhere in the forum

You need to submit the number of letters that each school requests in the application instructions. In general, the requests are 2 to 3 letters of recommendation. At the same time you might want to check on the format that each of the school requests. Most schools use the common application. It sounds to me as if you need to go to each of the school's websites and see what the requirements are of each school.

Reading those application instructions for each school is critical. It is the first step to taking charge of the admissions process. I also assume that you will be attending the event we are hosting on Tuesday, October 14. The US admission process can be confusing and it is important that you be an active applicant rather than a passive applicant.

Good Luck

Dear Elz,

I am applying to 5 undergraduate schools this fall.

please answer my questions:

1) How many recomendation letters should I send ?

2) Which proffessors should write them?Those who teach the subjects that I want to study at college or those who know me the best?

3)Should my school send recomendation letters?

Since I just registrated,I am terribly sorry if I repeated questions that already existed somwhere in the forum