IAC Board

University of Nevada,Las Vegas

pozdrav svima!

da li neko moze da mi kaze na koji nacin mogu da konkurisem za upis na ovaj univerzitet,koja su mi dokumenta potrebna i da li bih i na koji nacin mogla da dobijem neku stipendiju?

redovan sam student druge godine ekonomskog fakulteta u podgorici.

sve informacije su dobro dosle

Are you considering graduate school there or as a transfer student? I can advise you right off that scholarships for transfer students are more difficult to get than funding for graduate studies.

We are hoping to make a trip to Montenegro in February and at that time we will do a presentation on study in the USA to explain the way things work in detail. However one of the first things that you need to know is that each university sets its own requirements, although requirements from university to university are rarely wildly different. Thus, it is important that in your research you read the instructions very carefully. If you are planning to apply to more than one school, you should probably open an excel sheet so that you can organize a chart with deadlines and other requirements.

Now this is that part that you are probably not going to like B) I am not going to go and study the website for you and then give you the instructions. This is something that you need to learn how to do for yourself. However, I will guide you though the links and teach you about the process. I realize that this is time consuming and perhaps you are thinking - why not you just go and do this research and tell me everything - well because our students that are most successful in getting scholarships are students that we assist in becoming engaged in the process. This will come across to the admissions committee in your application and you will be a winner! Also if you read something that you do not understand, please provide the link and cut and paste what you do not understand and let us explain it to you. Americans are big on reading instructions. We tend to provide step by step guidelines and use those guidelines - we encourage students to get used to this and become skilled at it, because it is what will be expected of you in the USA.

First of all, visit the link at: http://graduatecollege.unlv.edu/admissions/

Now the first and most important thing on this page is in bold type:

Please note that to be considered for admission, prospective students must complete two simultaneous application processes: one in the Graduate College and the other in the department that offers your program of study.

This means that you have two different places to send information. You need to note that on your excel chart.

Then you need to select a program and they are very detailed. I will guess that you want a diploma, so you are a degree seeking student. You will select the program for International Students. So click there and let's see what is next.

The next page is very clear. First they once again bold the information that you need to be sure to fulfill both department obligations and general admissions obligations. Then they provide step by step information for you. In the event that you do not have a good internet connection for this process, you can visit the American Corner and use their public computers.

As you go through these steps, if there is anything that you do not understand, be sure, as I said, to provide me with the link and the phrase that is confusing and I will explain it to you.

Now for the funding question. Ideally a graduate student will receive a tuition waiver, which means you are not charged for your classes, and an assistantship, which is a paid position at the university. Generally students that receive these benefits fit the following profile:

1. Good grades - the higher your grades, the better

2. Good TOEFL iBT scores - this reflects your ability to communicate in English, especially in terms of a teaching assistantship.

3. Grad School Exams GRE/GMAT results - Although most schools will give a minimum TOEFL score, few schools will express the GRE requirements in such quantitative terms. They tend to look at percentiles, in other words how well your scores compare with other test takers. A guideline for this is that if you are going into the social sciences, more is expected from you on the verbal section, but if you are into science, math, or engineering, the math section is what will be examined most closely. However, anything below the 50th percentile in either area is usually not a good sign. GMAT is the exam for most MBA/Business Programs. Once again, you need a good overall score on the GMAT - the average score is 550, and of course "average" students do not usually qualify for large amounts of funding.

4. A well thought-out statement of purpose. The most successful ones reflect that you have done a great deal of research about the particular department that you are applying to. This consists of reading departmental news, research papers, course descriptions, professors' work.etc. This indicates that you are ready to make a strong commitment to the department and their work.

5. Strong Letters of Recommendation. It is important that these letters speak about your abilities and give examples of those abilities as observed by those writing the letters.

Although there are other requirements, these are primary in terms of funding. Any research or teaching experience is also a plus.

I hope this answers your questions.

Elz

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Elz. I will try to find information by my self... I lookig forvard to see you in Podgorica soon!

Now remember, you are not completely on your own, but we want you to browse the requirements so that you will get an overview of the process and then be sure and post all questions that you have. It is just SO IMPORTANT that you become a part of the process and start to understand the process -we are always here to fill in those pesky details.

Elz

I have anther question :) i tryed to aplly on-line on www.unlv.edu but i don t have ssn-social security number/ what is that exactly?

I sow that dead line to aplly is 01.02. for fall term and 01.10 for spring term. I m not sure what that means exactly? :(

This is all excellent news - it shows you are getting engaged in the process. First of all, you do not have a social security number - generally this is something that only US citizens and eligible residents hold, although once you arrive in the US and begin to receive money for assistantships you will be assigned a special type of social security number for taxation purposes. However, it is nothing to worry about now. On the other hand, be sure that the application form that you are filling out is for international students.

The fall term generally starts in August and the spring term starts in January. I believe that it is most likely in your best interests to apply for the spring term since the fall term deadline is so close. However, if you are counting on financial assistance or an assistantship, be sure that you will be considered for that if you apply during the spring term. As I said, reading everything very carefully is very important. I know that it is also time consuming and tough at first, but the fact that you are well informed will really come through in your application package and work in your favor.

Best regards,

Elz

thanks...

I am sorry Elz but I dont understand-if I aplly for spring term 2009 can I get financial assistance? it is very important for me...

First of all, before we go one step further, I need you to answer the very first question that I asked you. Are you applying as a graduate student or as a transfer student? Next, I need to see the link where you are looking. If you are applying as a graduate student I will need both the link to the general information and the link where I can find the departmental information as well.

Elz