IAC Board

MA in Translation&Interpretation

Dear Elizabeth,

My name is Aleksandar Radosavljevic and I'm studying Japanese language at Ca' Foscari university in Venice, Italy.

I was thinking of doing a MA degree in Translation&Interpretation at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. I have already done some research about all things that international students have to do in order to apply for faculty of translation&interpretation. Apart from TOEFL and GRE I have to do an early diagnostic test in language which I will study at university.

I have been in IAC in Belgrade today, but unfortunately this Thursday there won't be a session for people who want to study in USA. I'm going back to Venice on Saturday and I will be back in Belgrade after my exams in July.

I was wondering if you could be kind to give some information about financial aid for international students. I have a year and a half before getting a BA degree, so there is plenty of time, but I would like to start preparing for my postgraduate studies as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleksandar

Dear Aleksandar,

First let me congratulate on your research - Monterey is a good school. Now in terms of financial aid, about 46.6% of all graduate students receive funding from the school. In fact, last year IAC was able to assist more than 54 students in obtaining financial assistance that exceeded 1.6 million USD.

As far as getting on a good timeline, most likely the GRE will be your greatest obtacle. Most students find the verbal section the most troublesome because without a rich vocabulary there will always be a limit as to how many points you can score and what percentile you can reach. The best way to address that problem now is to begin to read a great deal of academic material. I would sugget "Foreign Affairs" and "the New York Times". I have also found the writings of George F. Kennan to be especially rich in GRE vocabulary - in fact, I sometimes wonder is that is where the words come from :rolleyes:

The next time you here in Belgrade, sign up for the advising - it will give you a complete picture. If you are going to be here over the summer, you might want to consider one of our GRE courses. Also I would encourage you to try to find the time to use our reference library, we have books to help with strategy. This can help you map out a plan for your personal statement.

Unless you had this post professionally translated, I doubt it TOEFL will be an obstacle. Most likely you might want to do a couple of simulations just for practice and to get a feel for the exam so that you can do your best.

Advance planning is always good and 18 months is actually considered ideal.

Best regards,

Elz

Dear Elizabeth,

My name is Aleksandar Radosavljevic and I'm studying Japanese language at Ca' Foscari university in Venice, Italy.

I was thinking of doing a MA degree in Translation&Interpretation at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. I have already done some research about all things that international students have to do in order to apply for faculty of translation&interpretation. Apart from TOEFL and GRE I have to do an early diagnostic test in language which I will study at university.

I have been in IAC in Belgrade today, but unfortunately this Thursday there won't be a session for people who want to study in USA. I'm going back to Venice on Saturday and I will be back in Belgrade after my exams in July.

I was wondering if you could be kind to give some information about financial aid for international students. I have a year and a half before getting a BA degree, so there is plenty of time, but I would like to start preparing for my postgraduate studies as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleksandar

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your response. Appreciate it!

I contacted some persons who had been studying at Monterey Institue of International Studies and found out that doing a MA in Translation&Interpretation in Japanese would be very difficult as my mother tongue is Serbian. Moreover, getting a job would be some kind of mission impossible as any employer would prefer to hire someone whose mother tongue is Japanese. Therefore, I considered others programs available in Monterey and decided to try International Policy Studies. The course itself is very well organized and it gives you lots of opportunities after your degree.

Reading " The New York Times" online is great as there is possibilty of seeing the meanings of any word that someone is not familiar with. I have already bought books for TOEFL and will probably do it next year here in Italy. The test is not difficult but I need to prepare very well as I my score has to be at least 100. After my exams I'll come in Serbia and during summer I'll take a preparation course of GRE.

Haven't used any professional translators for my posts although my English is crying for help :ph34r: . Being in Italy dosen't give you so much opportunities to hear Engllish as they have all movies synchronized into Italian. :wtf:

Best regards,

Aleksandar