IAC Board

Hello,

I`m planning to apply for LLM programs in 2007/08 but since I will not finish faculty by the time I send my application (I`ll graduate two months later), could it reduce my chances for beeing accepted? And what documents should I send insted of a college degree?

I also heard that Fulbright schoolarship is no more available for Serbian students. Are there other schoolarships provided by US government for international students?

I was advised by some professors and assistants at my Faculty to be free to send my applications only to the top 20 universities, that I will be (probably :D ) easily accepted since I am an excellent student, and that the better ranked university is, the more money it has for schoolarships. Is this too optimistic view (specially now, when there is no Fulbright schoolarship which could cover at least half of the costs)? And I am thinking about universities like UCLA, NYU, Columbia, Duke...

Thanks!

Well, first of all when applying to universities, it is important to look at the Department - the Department is more critical for graduate studies than for undergraduate studies. In other words, the reputation of the department becomes of crucial importance. You might want to look at the following website in order to get an overview of the ranking systems for law schools:

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/

Now as to the top 20 or so universities and the money that they have - well that can be a mixed bag, because sometimes since they are "top", they may also have very high fees. I can tell you that the LLM degree is in high demand - in addition, the first year of earnings after obtaining the diploma averages about $60,000 USD. This can make it challenging to find and qualify for financial assistance.

Programs through the United States Government are usually organized at different times. You can look under the educational exchanges in the Public Diplomacy Section of the United States Embassy website:

http://belgrade.usembassy.gov/embassy/pa/e.../exchanges.html

Some of the programs have closed for the academic year, but you can still do a general google search and see what the program traditionally entails and see if an LLM degree is offered through any of these programs. I know that it used to be offered through some of them. You might check the current trends.

In general, it would be good if you could call our office and see when the next graduate advising session will be held and put your name on the list to attend - it is free and in the session you will get an overview of the various ways that you can finance your education in the United States.

Honestly, if I were you, I would never limit myself to the top twenty universities. I would look at which Law Schools have a program that I would be an asset to in terms of my background and think about what I could contribute to the program that would make me an attractive candidate for financial assistance. Remember, when all is said and done with graduate studies, a student who finished the greatest law school in the world, is not necessary considered a better candidate than a student who finished a second tier school but has a CV packed full of publications and activities. A great deal of where you want to target your interest is going to depend upon your personal assessment of your qualities and what you learn about different departments as you research the various LLM programs throughout the United States.

Whew! Did that you answer your question?

Thanks very much Elz!!!

Now, I have few questions more :D (you forgot my first question about application deadlines and not finishing faculty by then)

I attended graduate advissing session (on March 26) and got some really usefull tips. But about funding,we talked mostly about schoolarships for sport and science and teacher-assistantships (the majority of the group was in these fields). Since I`m interested in Corporate and/or Bussines Law, how can I fing out if maybe there are also some U.S. firms and corporations that would give schoolarships?

When deciding were to apply I have no problem with choosing among the universities that have top LLM programs. But I also want to have "plan B", a university that is not that highly ranked but has good programm. The problem is that when I look to their sites each and every university is apsolutely perfect, their program is the best one possible,campus is just great,professors are best ever... etc. Could you recommend me some university and give me an "inside" information how good they really are?

Thanks!!! :D

• 2 months later...

My Dear,

I just learned that there is some question floating around on this forum that I forgot to answer.  Could this question belong to you?  

It is not important that you have completed your studies by the application deadline.  You will be granted admission based on the fact that you have to send them updated information which shows that you completed your studies.  

LLM is one of the toughest programs to get funding for.  That will probably help you narrow down your choices.  You can research the departments and when you are very well informed about the professors and the work they are engaged in, you can begin to contact them and see if they are open to student contact.  This is a delicate operation because often students do not understand how important it is to be VERY familiar with that professor's work.  You need to show that you have really done your homework on that.  Also as you do the research, you will get a feel for the kind of opportunities that might be available.  You can discuss this work and see if they have any research funding and so on.  This is a good way to get the ball rolling, but for the LLM, you need to really be focused.

One reason that funding is so scarce is because the average first year salary for a student holding an LLM is $60,000 a year.