IAC Board

about admissions

Some grad schools offer winter and/or spring admissions. When do they start and what is the difference between starting in fall or winter (for examlple)? Does the ending semester (of a winter-started education) end later than fall-started one? I`m not sure if you understood me, I`ll probably give you a call if you can`t answer the question..

Thanks anyway

Darko

Dear Darko,

Grad Schools each set their own admissions standards.  What this boils down to is research on a case by case basis.  In general, the grad schools that have very specific programs require that you enroll in the Fall semester so that you begin the program and pass through each step in a certain order.  Some schools even accept applications throughout the year and then admit you at alsmost any point.  

We have had several graduate students that were accepted for the January semester.  On the other hand, there have been others who started in August.  

Bear in mind that when we say the US education system is diverse and decentralized, we are not a-kidding :)  Our reference material in the library has a list of each program of graduate studies, which schools have departments in each area of specialization and what the deadlines are, as well as the entry points.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Elz

I expected you will answer me on Saturday (as I remember, that is the day of the week when you are answering questions on forum).. I was partially satisfied with your answer, but still, I would like to know:

If there is a difference between programs in fall and spring? Is a fall-starting program more appreciated than spring-starting? I just want to be sure that I am not loosing anything by admitting myself for winter or spring starting course (or however should I call it)..

Thanks Elz, I really appreciate it,

Darko

hmmm.  Well Darko...this is a most unusual question...but I can understand how different and bizarre the system may sound..No there is no difference in the quality or your ranking or anything else that is based on whether you began in the Fall term or the Spring term.  I think that maybe the programs here in Serbia are based in some kind of order or something, but that is not generally the case in the United States.  (Notice I said generally).  You will have a list of certain courses that you must complete in order to receive your degree.  As you get into graduate studies, those courses may not be offered as frequently.  What I mean by that is that it is pretty easy to get into a US History to 1877 class at anytime, but it may be harder to get into a History of the Russian Revolution course.  However, you will have plenty of courses to select from for your first semester so this should not be a problem for you.

Does this answer your question?  I am sorry if it seems a bit unclear.  This is an interesting question and I can certainly see why you asked it and I am doing my best to say...it does not make a difference.

This certainly answers the question.. Before I posted the topic on forum, I was wondering: "why only some universities offer winter and spring admissions? Why aren`t they wide spread? There must be something.."

But after your last post, I understand..

Thanks again,

Darko