IAC Board

UTEP Faces off the field: Freshman volleyball player Sara Pushtahija

administrator

Sara Pushtahija arrived in El Paso this summer from her native Belgrade, the capital of Serbia (almost exactly 10,000 kilometers from Memorial Gym), as a centerpiece of UTEP's latest freshman volleyball recruiting class.

The 6-foot outside hitter became the second Serbian on the team along with Ema Uskokovic and the third international player. The Miners open their season at a tournament in Evanston, Ill., on Friday.

What brought you from Serbia to El Paso?

UTEP was the most aggressive team (recruiting) the past year and I think they can be even better. I had the offer from coach Ben (Wallis), I knew a player from Serbia. I wanted to come and meet all these people, meet El Paso. I made a good decision.

I think we have a pretty good team and I think the thing that can help us is team bonding. We're pretty close, that will help us. We are like a family.

Has going so far from home been challenging?

It is very different. It's difficult to leave your family, be so much further from home. But the opportunity with volleyball, school, this kind of education, it's a high level. My sacrifice will pay off.

Has it helped being on a team with two other players from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean?

It helps me to be near someone who understands me. I have a teammate from Turkey (Hande Yetis), from Serbia too. I talked to them when I had a hard time being away from home, homesick. I know we're in the same box, it's really helpful to have someone like that from across the ocean.

All my teammates have been great. When I came here in the summer they were open-minded. When I got here my English was not that good, and they accepted that and understood me. They've been awesome.

What's your favorite thing so far about El Paso?

I haven't had any opportunities for sightseeing, but when we catch a break, maybe spring, I'll go see a lot of places. I really do like the food, it's a lot different from home and I like to try new things, so the food. And the people. The people are so nice. I really enjoy talking to them.

The weather here is so much different, it's so hot. I was here for two months (over the summer) and now I'm used to it.

What's your favorite El Paso food?

I didn't want to, but coach Ben made me try your beans, the Mexican beans, the El Paso beans. I refused the first time, then I tried it and it was so good. I thought it was going to be so spicy I couldn't eat it, but they were so good.

What's your favorite Serbian food?

My favorite Serbian meal is sarma, it's ground meat in a cabbage. My mom makes it, I can't wait to go home and eat it again.

What does a visitor to Belgrade have to do and see?

They have to see Belgrade Fortress. If you're in Belgrade and you're young I'd recommend the nightlife because Belgrade is most known for the nightlife and the clubs. But if you're a sightseeing person, I'd say Belgrade Fortress.

Who are the most famous Serbians?

Novak Djokovic and Nikola Jokić.

How did you start playing volleyball?

It was in elementary school. My dad was a volleyball coach, I wanted to be like the girls he coached. I admired them. I always wanted to play volleyball, I never had other sports in my mind. Volleyball and that's it.

What strengths do you bring to the Miners?

I'm a pretty good communicator. I'm loud. I'm not loud enough now, but I think I will relax eventually and I think I can be a leader. Now I'm young, so I have time to learn from the veterans, they are awesome. They are guiding me, I can't wait to learn from them.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/college/utep/2022/08/24/utep-faces-off-the-field-freshman-sara-pushtahija/65416194007/