IAC Board

Ivana Savic

belladonna

;) Hey everyone! My name is Ivana and I've been one of the incredibly stupid but even more lucky people to get into college in the US!!! you ask yourselves why do I say for myself that I'm incredibly stupid? Well, maybe I'm not but some of my decisions definitely were...

I started my college preparation really late and I've applied to only 1 college....yes, you're seeing correctly ONLY ONE college.

Now as my college isn't Ivy League I figured I had a fair chance of getting in... Then I saw that they have only 1% of international students and I got scared.... and then I got the acceptance letter!!!!

So in September I'm off to college! :)

Now as I 'm just starting college in a couple of months I think I'll be better help then. But what I want to say to you guys reading this is that even if you do get accepted there is SO MANY things you have to do...just too much paperwork if you ask me! Be prepared for quite a hassle ... I just hope that in the end it's worth it (and I think it IS :))!

Even though I though I was just another dreamer that is going to have just another dream not come true I realized that wishing to study in the US is one of those dreams that can come true (but only if you work hard on them to come true!!:)). So, don't give up....

And if there's any way I can help....feel free to ask!

PS Oh, and just one more thing, I really really owe a lot to the IAC so, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU because you guys really know quite a lot and thanks for sharing all the info and helping me get to where I want to be- in an American college.

Ivana Savic

Yeah, that's just like me to forget to mention the most important thing about going to college- the name of the college! ;)

DePaul was my first and only choice! :)

It's in Chicago, Ill and has a great campus! I've visited DePaul twice and I am very pleased by the looks of it. It has a campus in Lincoln Park (Liberal Arts and Sciences and the School For New Learning) and a campus in the Loop (downtown I think-I just passed by and it look pretty cool) and I think they have a campus at O'Hare, I'm not sure since I'm only interested in the Liberal Arts and Sciences campus- that's where I'll be.

So that's about it. If there's any questions just ask!!! :)

Dear Ivana,

Congratulations and I am so happy for you. Yes, I have to admit that I was very jittery about your application to just one school, but thankfully everything worked out well for you and the best is that you are going to LOVE DePaul! There are so many great schools out there which students have not heard of, but with a little research can find. Please do write to us with your details and let us know about your terms of admission, so we can add DePaul to our list of schools where we have students. We are always a bit nosy about financial aid packages, just so we can tell other students what to expect :)

Also if DePaul has been generous enough with you, they get a listing in the EducationUSA list that we keep internally for financial aid advice to students.

Also one more thing that I want to emphasize, not just for you, but for all students, I learned something new at a conference that attended this summer - go to the career center on campus as soon as possible. Visit there, get acquainted with the people who work there, and stop by frequently to keep in touch with all opportunities. I was told this by some very successful students who were on a panel at the USAP conference that I attended at Smith College.

I plan to make a big deal out of that for all departing students from this day forward, "Get thyself to the Career Center on your campus!"

Once again, congratulations - I know how long and hard you worked for this. I hope that we will get to see you before you take off. And it is wonderful to have you post here and say thanks to us. It means great deal to us to know how these things turned out for students.

Do not forget that even once you get to the USA, we are still here for you. Please do stay in touch, feel free to visit when you come home for holidays. Let us know in advance when you will be back in Serbia and we can be sure that you are on the guest list for receptions and other events, plus you can sit on panels for students that are just starting to dream about school in the United States.

Warm regards,

Elz

Yeah, that's just like me to forget to mention the most important thing about going to college- the name of the college! ;)

DePaul was my first and only choice! :)

It's in Chicago, Ill and has a great campus! I've visited DePaul twice and I am very pleased by the looks of it. It has a campus in Lincoln Park (Liberal Arts and Sciences and the School For New Learning) and a campus in the Loop (downtown I think-I just passed by and it look pretty cool) and I think they have a campus at O'Hare, I'm not sure since I'm only interested in the Liberal Arts and Sciences campus- that's where I'll be.

So that's about it. If there's any questions just ask!!! :)

Dear Elizabeth,

I would love to visit you guys any time, you are just so helpful and frendly! However, I am already in the United States and I probably won't be coming to Serbia until december. But, at that time I will be glad to pay you guys a visit and see if there is something new in the education system and pick up some more useful tips for studying in the US. ;)

As for financia aid, well, unfortunatelly, my university was not able to give me any as their deadline was way past when I applied. However, that is not stoping me to try and get financial aid or maybe a scholarship next year. (I've always been an optimistic kid.)

As for the career center, I'll visit it even before my college starts- when going on orientation.

There is something I found out while browsing through my brochure- DePaul organizes freshmen courses called Explore Chicago and Discover Chicago! I can't wait for it to start! Exploring the city and actually learning from it? Sounds great to me!

I found out about De Paul University because my cousin had a friend that attended it and loved it so I went to the campus, saw what they have to offer and was really quite amazed and satisfied with what I saw. However, we will see If they'll live to the expectations when the fall quarter starts. :)

My mom was amazed how you guys stay in touch with all your students just checking on them every once in a while! :) thanx for everything! :):):)

Regards, Ivana