IAC Board

DS-2019

Cyclonela

Hi,

I'm accepted by a professor to do my diploma work in his group at Louisiana State University. The diploma work is necessary to get degree (Bsc. in my particular case) for 7-8 months depending of the experiment, and tasks I need to do. I've finished listening of the 4th (last) year here(absolvent status),and I have three more exams and diploma work till graduation. So,I thought to do my diploma work at LSU,because they have great group for neutrino research,so I'll get necessary practice.

My opinion is that I need J1 visa,but I'm not so sure, and to DS-2019 form be issued by LSU ISO (International Service Office +Human Resource Manag. Approval) they ask me Health Insurance in 50,000 USD value. I'm not sure where to get a form for Health Insurance, or may I pay my Health Insurance for example in the Zepter, and fax them the form, or it must something other?

Best regards,

Slaven

Dear Cyclonela,

First of all, CONRATULATIONS! ! ! This is a great opportunity and one that we are trying to alert more students about. In fact, there are several of these listed on our last bulletin. Now, about the insurance, often the school provides this kind of student health insurance, but your case may be different. First before you purchase anything, hold on and let me make some inquiries. Your insurance has to be "accepted" on the USA end, but the institution that is issuing the paperwork for your visa. I feel that it will probably be a J-1 status that you are looking at.

I will submit this question to some experts and see what I can learn.

Also, perhaps you would like to stop by our office and pick up a predeparture packat and a handbook that we give to students that are going out to study.

Best regards,

Elz

Hi,

I'm accepted by a professor to do my diploma work in his group at Louisiana State University. The diploma work is necessary to get degree (Bsc. in my particular place) for 7-8 months depending of the experiment, and tasks I need to do. I've finished listening of the 4th (last) year here(absolvent status),and I have three more exams and diploma work till graduation. So,I thought to do my diploma work at LSU,because they have great group for neutrino research,so I'll get necessary practice.

My opinion is that I need J1 visa,but I'm not so sure, and to DS-2019 form be issued by LSU ISO (International Service Office +Human Resource Manag. Approval) they ask me Health Insurance in 50,000 USD value. I'm not sure where to get a form for Health Insurance, or may I pay my Health Insurance for example in the Zepter, and fax them the form, or it must something other?

Best regards,

Slaven

Also please send a copy of the offer to us at office@iacbg.org. As always, it is better for us to see the list of requirements and than rely on your interpretation of events - we do this a great deal. I always like to see EXACTLY what they have said to you since I am fluent in American Bureaucrateze ;)

Dear Cyclonela,

First of all, CONRATULATIONS! ! ! This is a great opportunity and one that we are trying to alert more students about. In fact, there are several of these listed on our last bulletin. Now, about the insurance, often the school provides this kind of student health insurance, but your case may be different. First before you purchase anything, hold on and let me make some inquiries. Your insurance has to be "accepted" on the USA end, but the institution that is issuing the paperwork for your visa. I feel that it will probably be a J-1 status that you are looking at.

I will submit this question to some experts and see what I can learn.

Also, perhaps you would like to stop by our office and pick up a predeparture packat and a handbook that we give to students that are going out to study.

Best regards,

Elz

Thank you very much ,I'll send it right now.Sorry I didn't do it before, my ISP was down.

Thank you very much ,I'll send it right now.Sorry I didn't do it before, my ISP was down.

I found this guidline on LSU site:

http://www.oip.lsu.edu/iso/pdfs/J-1%20Overview.pdf

http://www.oip.lsu.edu/iso/pdfs/J-1%20Request%20Form.pdf

Actually,the University will send to students instructions how to purchase Health Insurance. As I understood, a student may choose to pay the insurance there, at faculty when they arrive, or bring a proof that they have Health Insurance. I think it isn't needed for DS 2019 to be issued, but all J1 Visa holders are required to have Health Insurance.

So,actual question is if a student wants to purchase Health Insurance at some company in his homeland, what kind of Health Insurance is recognized at the US... ;)

Best regards,

Slaven