IAC Board

Application Procedure!

Dear Elz,

As I already told you I need help with application materials. Here is the link where you can see which documents have to be submitted to the Department of History and Office of Admissions at Ohio State. http://history.osu.edu/students/grad/grad_application.cfm

Now, here are my questions.

1. Do I have to send copies of my TOEFL results along with other materials?

2. Do I have to use this form for my official transcripts? Because , you know that we usually get list of grades and courses taken as a transcript from our universities. This is a bit different form. Please, take a look... http://gradadmissions.osu.edu/download_materials.htm

3. Where can I see how CV should be written? Maybe there is a book on this subject in Academic Centre?

By the way, I followed your advice and decided to apply to University of Michigan too. :( I will do some more research in this regard this weekend, and have more questions afterwards probably...

I am grateful in advance,

Kind regards,

Bojana.

Dear Elz,

As I already told you I need help with application materials. Here is the link where you can see which documents have to be submitted to the Department of History and Office of Admissions at Ohio State. http://history.osu.edu/students/grad/grad_application.cfm

Now, here are my questions.

1. Do I have to send copies of my TOEFL results along with other materials?

When you take the TOEFL exam, you will request that ETS send the score results to the schools that you are applying to. In fact, you can enter that request at the time that you register for the exam. You may send your results to up to four schools without paying any extra fee. This is explained on the TOEFL website about sending scores, I believe. You can also download information from our website in Serbian that explains how this works from our TOEFL ibt pdf file.

2. Do I have to use this form for my official transcripts? Because , you know that we usually get list of grades and courses taken as a transcript from our universities. This is a bit different form. Please, take a look... http://gradadmissions.osu.edu/download_materials.htm

This form is simply a request for your school to send your transcripts to the Ohio. Generally in the United States and in many other countries, students present a written form such as this to request that the institution send the transcripts to the school. Based on our experience, the universities here in Serbia do not participate in this professional courtesy. In fact, some departments decline to deal with any requests that are written in English. I suggest that you visit the administrative department of your university and ask them if it is possible for you to request that they send your transcripts directly to a university in the United States if you pay the postage. If not, you can contac the graduate admissions office at Ohio State and state the following:

The University of Belgrade, Department of History refuses to send transcripts directly to any school. However, it is possible for me to request that they provide the transcripts under official seal, and place them in a sealed envelop, and have the clerk write his/her signature across the sealed part of the envelop. Of course you must first clear this with the department that provides the transcripts. See if you can get them to agree to this.

Also note that you need one copy of the transcripts for the admissions department and another set for the history department. Be sure and read the instructions in detail to make sure that you do not miss anything.

3. Where can I see how CV should be written? Maybe there is a book on this subject in Academic Centre?

There are many examples of CVs. I am sure that you can find an example in one of the books at the center.

Also, I notice that they request that you have a written work in English evaluated by a professor, in addition to your TOEFL score. Have you determined how you will have that done? Try to determine if this is a work in history or just a writing sample in English.

By the way, I followed your advice and decided to apply to University of Michigan too. :( I will do some more research in this regard this weekend, and have more questions afterwards probably...

I am glad to hear that you are looking at a variety of programs.

Also you should probably use our FedEx service to send your materials so that everything will be clearly postmarked by 1 December. We can send everything from our center through an agreement we have with FedEx for students.

I am grateful in advance,

Kind regards,

Bojana.