IAC Board

various issues

viket

Dear Elz,

I decided to retest GRE. If you remember, I did send you the results of my GRE test taken and you advised me to retest. I decided to try my luck once again.

I decided to retest in February in 2008, paper-based. I hope that it will be available then, I did see the location of Belgrade on the website. I think I have enough time to prepare. What happens if the results reach the universities well before the deadine, for example in my situation, the deadline is Dec 2008, and I request them to be sent in February. Will they be kept by then? I know it is too early but I need to take TOEFL as well.

I also heard that there is some new version of GRE? I hope that the paper based format is still the same, with the same question types. Do you by any chance know when the new version will be available in Belgrade?

Thank you in advance,

viket

As long as there is a paper-based test, the new questions wil not appear on it. I have no idea when there will be the possibility of a computer-based GRE in Serbia. I keep asking ETS about it, but they do not respond favorably to this idea.

The changes in the GRE do not drastically alter the test, it is more an addition of questions than anything else.

Have you considered a GRE prep course? This can certainly help. We offer a very good course for the GRE and there should be a new one starting soon. If you think that you might be interesed, you can call our office and place your name on the waitlist.

You might also want to consider attending the graduate advising session. I think that it would be of great benefit to you and might cover some of the questions that are of concern to you. It certainly gives an overview of the entire process so that you get a complete picture.

Also it will not matter to the school if your score arrives early. The admissions process in the US is quite sophisticated. A department is able to keep track of documents until they catch up with the application and visa-versa.

Once again, this is a matter of departmental policy. There is not one rule that fits all. However, as an international student, you can submit a request that they only consider your second score since you had absolutely no experience with this type of test.