IAC Board

MFA programs and more...

Dear Elizabeth,

I am planning to apply for MFA in photography. During this month, I will try to send applications to at least two or three universities. I am aware that deadlines are very near, so I hope that you will have some time to answer me on questions listed below.

I am well informed about highest ranked universities. But, can you recommend me some not so well known, but very solid too, MFA programs in photography. Eastern coast, Boston or NYC area.

Do you have a kind of list or catalogue with, for example, top 50 MFA programs in Visual arts, Photography particularly?

Can you recommend me some translator?s office in Belgrade for translation of official transcripts, needed for admissions?

If I want to apply at, for example, five universities, do I need to pay five times for translations or could I pay once and than use copies of documents for applying?

Do you know how much those translations costs?

When IAC is starting with new TOEFL courses?

For some highly rated universities I need 100-120 points from internet based TOEFL. At this moment, my English is not too good. How much time should I learn to make such score?

Does IAC has some preparatory testing for TOEFL and when it starts?

Do you know, what is usual ? that I will need to send TOEFL scores immediately with all the other documents (application form, portfolio, essays etc), or I will have an possibility to send TOEFL scores later, during next Summer maybe?

What do you think about Berlitz school and their intensive courses?

Do you know about scholarships for graduate studies in visual arts, for students from Serbia?

From where, here in Belgrade, I can send money order to the USA? Can I realize money order payment from any bank or Western union office?

Thank you very much for your time

Andrijana

I would recommend that you visit our offices and research through the Peterson's volumes in our library to begin with.

We have just started a TOEFL course and you are more than welcome to join. As far as a translator's office, you can find out more about that when you visit our office - I do not handle everything in the office, there are other people on staff who currently handle those matters, but you should not have to pay over and over again for the translations.

One thing that you should be aware of, generally this process is something that a person begins working on 12 to 18 months in advance. Also most graduate programs require a minimum of 100 points on the TOEFL - that is pretty much standard although I have seen some programs that require less.

Also students do not send TOEFL scores, those scores are sent from ETS directly to the institution. If deadlines are involved for university documents, the TOEFL scores are expected to arrive by that date. There is some flexibility, but think for a just moment in this way - If a student is unable to meet the basic language requirements, then there is no reason for the office to go through the incredible amount of work in processing that student's file.

I think that you need to attend a graduate advising session in order to get a complete picture of the process. You have many questions and it seems to me that you need to attend a graduate advising session in order to be more directed and to have a better grasp of the overall situation. It will really help you understand things better and you will feel that you have more control of the process.

We are not allowed to send money out of this country through Western Union. However, you can organize some payments through commercial bank. It sounds as if you really need to download the timeline from our website, under resources, and go to the group advising session for graduate students. You do not seem to have a thorough picture of the process yet, and it is important that you have that in order to be a successful candidate.

Elz