IAC Board

2010 Landscape/Garden Design Residency Program

http://www.i-park.or...rdenDesign.html

I-Park is pleased to announce the Landscape/Garden Design residency program for 2010.

Professional and academic landscape architects, landscape and garden designers, site planners and graduate level students preparing to enter these fields ? along with artists working in the land and/or with plant materials ? are invited to apply for the residency. Participants will share the I-Park facility with writers, composers and visual, including new media and environmental, artists. The standard residency session is 4-weeks, but a limited number of 2- and 8-week sessions are also available (see the 2010 Calendar for specific session dates). There is an application fee of $25.00. For a general overview of the residency program, click here. For particulars, refer to the FAQ.

While the I-Park residency program has always welcomed practitioners from the fields of landscape and garden design, this year, customized application guidelines and a separate selection panel were established to give the area the special attention it warrants.

Because the residency model in these fields is not well established in the U.S., as it is for the fine arts, we will suggest some types of projects and subjects for which this opportunity could be well suited:

? 'unsolicited' proposals for public or other spaces (as with unsolicited architecture)

? ecologically inspired landscape/garden design

? design exploration through model-making, drawing and in-situ installations

? materials and methods studies, including landscape products design

? explorations into the role of aesthetics in landscape sustainability

? conceptual studies, including 'blue sky' projects for no site in particularYou are free to utilize the residency period to work on a professional commission. Or, you may be interested in pursuing/proposing a site-responsive project for I-Park itself. The intention is to take the broadest possible approach to the field of landscape/garden design, particularly as it relates to the aesthetic engagement of the altered environment. Note that, especially for those who have never participated in a program of this kind, while the application process calls for a thoughtful project proposal, you should be open to the unexpected re-directions that can result from your personal response to the land, the interaction with your fellow residents and the transformative dynamics of the unrestricted, though supportive, format of the I-Park residency program.

Within common sense guidelines, participants will be permitted to utilize the rich, expansive I-Park tract as a laboratory for site investigations. In addition to a private studio, you will have access to tools and workshop space. A materials and equipment budget and physical assistance may be available for certain types of projects.

The participation in a residency session also opens the window on related I-Park initiatives, in particular, the upcoming

Thanatopolis Symposium & Exhibition, which has an important landscape/garden component; the Gardens at I-Park and International Garden Design Competition projects (both in development) and 2011's Environmental Art Biennale, an inter-disciplinary project that brings site-specific art into the landscape.