IAC Board

EducationUSA Weekly Update -- No. 228 ∙ May 2, 2011

EducationUSA Weekly Update -- No. 228 ∙ May 2, 2011

I. Scholarships and Fellowships

- UG: North Dakota State University Awards Academic and Cultural Sharing Scholarships

- UG: University of South Carolina Offers Upstate Scholars Program

- Grad: School of Law Merit Scholarship up to $11,000 at University of San Diego

- Grad: International Teaching Assistant (ITA) Program Available at the University of Utah

II. News you can use

- Mount Holyoke Launches Nexus: A Curriculum to Career Program Minor

- Diplomat in the Deccan - A Trip Down Memory Lane: Choosing the Right University

- Race to the top: Colleges Take Different Stances on Admissions

- EdUSA Connects Live Webinars: Finance Your Studies (May 4th)

NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY AWARDS ACADEMIC AND CULTURAL SHARING SCHOLARSHIPS

The Academic and Cultural Sharing Scholarship reduces tuition for undergraduate international students to 50 percent of the out-of-state tuition rate. This scholarship is available to all bachelor's seeking international students who qualify for admission at North Dakota State University and hold F-1 student status.

Given the nature of the scholarship, recipients are expected to share their cultures with U.S. students, faculty, staff and members of the community in activities that are academically and culturally beneficial. This enables people to increase their knowledge of the scholarship recipients' cultures and countries of origin and to gain a better sense of global society. International students must apply before June 1 for Fall semester and November 1 for Spring semester.

For more information, visit: www.ndsu.edu

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA OFFERS UPSTATE SCHOLARS PROGRAM

The University of South Carolina Upstate Scholars Program for new and continuing students assists academically talented individuals in their pursuit of higher education. The prestigious awards are given to students who have demonstrated their potential through academic merit. USC Upstate and the upstate region will benefit from the leadership and academic excellence these scholars bring to campus.

Scholarships will be awarded to eligible students; however, the number of awards available will be determined by the University. Early application for admission to USC Upstate is encouraged for students to be considered for new student scholarships.

Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at info@uscupstate.edu for more information.

SCHOOL OF LAW MERIT SCHOLARSHIP UP TO $11,000 AT UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO

The University of San Diego School of Law awards merit scholarships to students admitted to the LL.M. in Comparative Law program based on the merits of the applicant's scholastic and professional experience. Applicants acce pted to a graduate program at the School of Law are automatically considered for a Merit Scholarship award.

Comparative Law students study side-by-side with J.D. and LL.M. students from across the U.S. and around the world. The contemporary, dynamic J.D. curriculum prepares Comparative Law students to deal effectively with U.S. attorneys on questions of common interest. International students must have a minimum TOEFL score of 250 CBT / 600 PBT / 98 IBT and must have a degree in law.

For more information, visit University of San Diego at: http://bit.ly/jCTEud

INTERNATIONAL TEACHING ASSISTANT (ITA) PROGRAM AVAILABLE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH

International Teaching Assistants (ITAs) are a vital part of the teaching mission at the University of Utah. The Graduate School requires all non-native English speaking graduate students to be cleared by the ITA Program in order to be eligible for a tuition benefit for teaching assistantships.

Screening for oral English proficiency is done throughout the year, and pre-semester workshops prepare ITAs for their teaching assignments. On-going training and support is offered throughout the academic year in the form of graduate-level English classes, one-on-one and group tutorials, classroom observations with follow-up consultations, mid-semester student evaluations, and seminars on topics of interest to ITAs.

For more information, visit University of San Diego at: www.gradschool.utah.edu/ita

MOUNT HOLYOKE LAUNCHES NEXUS: A CURRICULUM TO CAREER PROGRAM MINOR

Mount Holyoke is happy to announce Nexus, a new academic minor available to students. This Curriculum to Career program enables students to meaningfully link their liberal arts education with their career goals.

Nexus gives students a focused, intentional way to connect their academic work with valuable professional experience beyond the gates, through internships, research projects, and summer employment. Approved Nexus Tracks include:

- Art and Society

- Education and Society

- Global Business

- Journalism, Media and Public Discourse

- Law and Public Policy

- Non-Profit Organizations -Sustainable Development

A Nexus minor consists of 16 academic credits and requirements include:

o Three academic courses, chosen from a faculty-approved list

o An internship, research project, or summer job -a pre-experience course (or a suitable methods course) and a post-experience course

o A public presentation at the annual LEAP (Learning from Application) Symposium

For more information about the Nexus program at Mount Holyoke College, please email Marie Troppe at mtroppe@mtholyoke.edu

DIPLOMAT IN THE DECCAN - A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE: CHOOSING THE RIGHT UNIVERSITY

Katherine Dhanani, Consul General at the U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad, shares her thoughts on how she chose Kenyon College as an undergraduate student:

"Why did I pick Kenyon? I knew I was interested in having direct engagement with faculty, I liked the idea of the nurturing environment at a small school, I wanted a broad education and I wanted to go to a school with a reputation for academic excellence. Given these criteria, I researched schools primarily using college guides. (No internet in my day?I had to do my research in the library!)"

Read More: http://bit.ly/jzFcyg

RACE TO THE TOP: COLLEGES TAKE DIFFERENT STANCES ON ADMISSIONS

NewsOK

By Lillie Roney

Posted: May 1, 2011

Turns out, getting into college might not be as stressful as many students think.

Cindy Eubanks, a University of Oklahoma admissions counselor, said OU only looks at the numbers ? unweighted GPA, class rank and standardized test scores.

"The only time admissions will ever look at a student's classes or even resume ... is if they do not meet the automatic acceptance requirements," she said.

Read more: http://bit.ly/mIMVEu