IAC Board

Projekat "Mladi za mlade" - Seminari i mentorski rad sa mladim Romima - studentima i srednjoškolcima

Međunarodni akademski centar vas obaveštava o početku aktivnosti u projektu "Mladi za mlade", u okviru kojeg trenutni i svršeni studenti mogu da postanu mentori Romima koji studiraju ili završavaju srednju školu u Srbiji.

U okviru seminara i mentorskog rada, predviđeno je da se mladim Romima iz siromašnih sredina, aktivnim u svojim lokalnim zajednicama, pomogne u sticanju veština potrebnih za dalje obrazovanje u zemlji i inostranstvu i ekonomski razvoj. 

U daljem tekstu nalazi se objašnjenje programa na engleskom jeziku. Ako ste zainteresovani da pomognete u projektu "Mladi za mlade", pošaljite nam poruku na office@iacbg.org sa naslovom YOUTH FOR YOUTH ili komunicirajte direktno sa predstavnicom organizacije Jelenom Kaplanović čiji se kontakt detalji nalaze u daljem tekstu.   

We would like to invite you to participate in a project Youth for Youth as mentors for Roma college students and Roma high school students. In this short summary, you will find description of the project as well as summary of your role. We hope you decide to dedicate a little bit of your time to help someone thrive in their education as well career, as most of these students are to be future Roma leaders in their communities. 

YOUTH FOR YOUTH program consists of two main activities, the first being, a seminar for 27 Roma college educated students, and 4 high school Roma students. During the seminar, participants will have a chance to hear numerous successful college graduates, as well as representatives from the International Academic Center of Belgrade, American Councils, various NGO's, etc. Not only will Roma students gain important networking skills and contacts, but they will also be given the information about the laws regarding equal education and educational opportunities that are not easily accessible for everyone.

YOUTH FOR YOUTH is a project targeting several groups of beneficiaries. The target groups involved in this project are firstly, Roma college educated students from University of Belgrade and Vrsac "Visoka skola strukovnih studija za obrazovanje vaspitaca Vrsac". These Roma students are active citizens and would be great role models for young, middle-school students of Roma ethnicity, from low socio-economic backgrounds. Second target group are Roma high school students from non-formal Roma Settlement.

The seminar focused on providing Roma students and highs school students with access to information about higher education and education abroad. One of the goals of this seminar was to create a cohesive group of students that can work together in the future on their path to becoming educated Roma leaders in Serbia. Furthermore, this seminar focused on providing necessary knowledge and "how-to's" for studying and applying to exchanges and universities in the USA. Additionally, Roma students learned about writing resumes as well as tricks and tips for interviews, essays and motivation letters, as well as debate skills and public speaking tools.

The second activity is going to be a series of networking events (five or more) at institutional educational establishments with the goal of empowering educated Roma young leaders that are to continue to build upon the relationships and skills gained at the seminar. Networking events will include visits to several organizations and institutions such as: National Roma Council, International Academic Center of Belgrade, City of Belgrade Department for education, American Councils, Fund for an Open Society.

As mentors, you will go through a training and then be pair up with a Roma student. You do not need to be in Serbia but it is recommended. Speaking Serbian, though not required it is recommended. You would meet with your mentee once a week or twice in two weeks for about an hour. You can meet with them in person, or over Skype or other ways of communication online. 

If interested, please contact International Academic Center at office@iacbg.org, or send an email to kaplanov@grinnell.edu or agendacenter@gmail.com.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask, we would be happy to answer any.