IAC Board

News: China: Student accepted to 9 US universities

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-07...tent_653757.htm

Student accepted to 9 US universities

By Coldness Kwan (Chinadaily.com.cn)

Updated: 2006-07-31 16:49

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the University of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth College, Cornell University - many students dream of being accepted to just one of the top 100 universities in the US, but 18-year-old Wang Xiawa, from Northeast China's Liaoning Province has her pick - she's been accepted to nine of them.

Wang sent applications to 14 US of the top 100 US universities, and was accepted to nine of them, including a full scholarship of US$46,000 to MIT and the University of Pennsylvania, according to Hua Shang Chen Bao.

As one of the top students in her school, Wang was expected by her parents and teachers to study at Peking University or Tsinghua University. However, Wang decided to try her luck with foreign universities.

"If I fail to get admission from a foreign university, I will never have any luck with any top universities at home either," Wang explained of her decision.

Wang took constant leave from school during her last year in high school, preparing applications and other documents and taking exams demanded by foreign universities while her schoolmates were fighting the clock to prepare for college entrance exams, known as Gao Kao in China.

But the hard-working girl was able to catch up on her schoolwork as soon as she returned from the leaves, however long they were.

Wang got a 643 on her TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and 2090 on the SAT1 (Scholastic Assessment Test for Math, Chinese and English) and 2400 on the SAT2 (Scholastic Assessment Text for Math, Physics and Chemistry). Her marks on the SAT2, a requirement form any colleges in the US, were higher than that of many American students.

As Wang waited to hear from the universities she applied to, she rejected an invitation from Zhejiang University, also one of China's top educational institutes.

Wang decided to study at MIT. "I will study marine engineering or aerospace engineering and I will continue to study for my master's degree and doctorate degree. I want to be a scientific researcher and help fulfill the human dream - interstellar aeronautics," Wang said.

What did the 9 big name universities see in Xiawa? Her high texts marks certainly contributed a lot. But so did her extra-curricular accomplishments.

As a child she learned to play piano and dance and played tennis and basketball and swam at school. She also received awards from the state and province for two of her inventions.

Wang will leave for the US at the beginning of August.

To contact the reporter on this story:

Guan Xiaomeng in Beijing at guanxm@chinadaily.com.cn