IAC Board

GMAT Q&A

Mickey

Hi everybody!

I'm preparing for the GMAT and ,although i've read the ussual info on the test, i could't find an exact info on what can we use on the test day i.e is it possible to use a paper and a pen for (for the quant. part) or a calculator maybe (this was a joke :( ) ?

Thanks for the info!

Usually people start with the official web site of the exam when looking for information. The following information was obtained from www.mba.com - exact link is http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/TheEsse...enterin2006.htm

What You Will Need at the Test Center

• Acceptable identification as described in Presenting Proper Identification
  • The names of the GMAT? Programs to which you would like to send your GMAT? scores (see Selecting Your Score-Report Recipients). Note: you will not be allowed to bring notes with the names of these programs into the testing room.
  • The appointment confirmation letter or email you received from Pearson VUE. However, if you do not have your confirmation letter?or were not issued a confirmation letter?you will still be allowed to test if you have a scheduled appointment.

Items Not Permitted During the Test Session

No testing aids are permitted during the test session or during breaks, and there is limited space for you to store your personal belongings. Testing aids include but are not limited to the following:

? notes

? scratch paper

? calculators or watch calculators

? stop watches or watch alarms

? personal data assistants (PDAs)

? telephones or cell phones

? beepers or pagers

? photographic devices

? stereos or radios

? any other electronic devices that could aid testing

? books or pamphlets

? dictionaries, translators, or thesauri

? pens or any other writing utensils

? rulers or any other measuring devices

Noteboards

The administrator will provide you with a booklet of five (5) noteboards at the start of your test. If you fill these noteboards during your test, you may request replacements by raising your hand. You may not remove these noteboards from the testing room at any time. Every noteboard must be returned at the end of the test session. You may not take your own noteboard into the testing room.

Usually people start with the official web site of the exam when looking for information. The following information was obtained from www.mba.com - exact link is http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/TheEsse...enterin2006.htm

Thanks for the info..

So, since it's stated that we are not allowed to bring any sort of pen, but we get ''noteboards'', i assume we will get a pen as well?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mickey,

Just a quick response, although some of our students may respond later. We have a GMAT prep group right now. Many of them are planning to take it before the deadlines close for August 2008 admissions.

We are also in the process of organizing a second GMAT prep group, so there will be more people.

As for testing centers, there is a strong possibility that sometime in the (we hope) near future, you will be able to take in Serbia, but for now many people are scheduling their tests in Budapest. What is most important is that you get yourself scheduled in time to meet all of your application deadlines so I would not recommend waiting until you can conveniently take in Serbia if you need it real soon.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Elz

Dear Mickey,

Just a quick response, although some of our students may respond later. We have a GMAT prep group right now. Many of them are planning to take it before the deadlines close for August 2008 admissions.

We are also in the process of organizing a second GMAT prep group, so there will be more people.

As for testing centers, there is a strong possibility that sometime in the (we hope) near future, you will be able to take in Serbia, but for now many people are scheduling their tests in Budapest. What is most important is that you get yourself scheduled in time to meet all of your application deadlines so I would not recommend waiting until you can conveniently take in Serbia if you need it real soon.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Elz

Hello,

Thank you for your input, and also for the information about the new group.

As for me, i am planing to take it by the 15th of December at the latest, although i wish i could be able to take it in mid November , but wishes are something else :)

So, is that 'near future' within this timeline, or should i take it in Budapest?

Also, do you know what's going on wih the test center in Zagreb?

Thank you,

M.

Dear Mickey,

We have no idea as to when the near future will be. I would be very hesitant to anticipate for a number of reasons. One area of concern is receiving the equipment from GMAT. GMAT will ship the equipment to be installed at our premises. GMAT provides the equipment, so that every test center is uniform. This is not equipment that we purchase, nor do we pay the shipping. However, once this equipment rolls across the border into Serbia, there may be some very complicated problems. For example, the headsets that are provided for TOEFL, along with 24 pieces of cardboard were provided to our testing center by ETS, with the shipping paid. The total value of the contents in the box was $25. However, the customs fees and the handling charge levied by DHL of Serbia came to around $250. Of course this is over 400% of the stated value - I believe that this may be a world record in terms of customs duties and charges from a delivery service. If we run into this situation again, it will become complicated and there will be delays.

As to the GMAT testing in Zagreb, it is my understanding that GMAT is trying to establish their testing partnerships with EducationUSA centers, (www.educationUSA.state.gov) such as ours. I know that the EducationUSA center in Zagreb has been in contact with the GMAT people, but I am not sure how far they have gotten in the process.

Here is what I suggest: In order to insure testing availability on the dates that you need, register at the locations that is most convenient for you in time to reserve a seat. If, in the meantime, we begin to provide GMAT testing, you can change to this location for a $50 fee as long as it is 7 days prior to the exam. You want to think about this strategically, because most people would be more comfortable testing close to home, rather than having to make a trip crossing borders and so on. Of course as soon as we are up and running as a testing center, we will be announcing it on our website and so on, so you will be informed.

The GMAT team is very well organized and they are very responsive to the needs of test takers, so I am expecting good news from them rather quickly in terms of getting us ready to administer the exam. However, as I said, this situation with customs regulations and the administrative fees charged by the shipping company could prove a snag. It is a most unfortunate situation. In light of this, I would certainly not recommend waiting around for testing close to home - it most important that you get yourself registered and set for this important milestone in your professional life!

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mickey,

Actually the equipment has arrived and is in the DHL warehouse. First of all, even though it is educational material and not for resale, there has been an assessment of somewhere around 1000 euros in the first round, but rest assured that is just a preliminary estimate, next there are several inspections and probably lots more charges. First experts will inspect to make sure that certain parts of the equipment are not environmental hazards, then more experts perform a sanitary inspection because apparently GMAT provides numerous little packets of ear plugs so that test takers can concentrate. I think that might have been done by now. However, a really bad thing happened. I am not sure if you have ever seen a GMAT bulletin, but it is a little paperbooklet with the word "FREE" emblazoned across it. Since this booklet is free, the declared value was "0", but that is a no-no, because you see the recycled paper that it is printed on has some sort of value and of course that needs to be assessed as well. It is VERY IMPORTANT that every item that arrives is assessed!

And just today we learned that there will be another very special inspection - a new law passed a few days ago to regulate certain monitors and as luck would have it, that is exactly the kind of new, state of the art monitor that was sent to us! Is that a coincidence or what? I like to think that maybe this was the first monitor of this kind to arrive here and so we are getting extra-special service.

So we are going to have to wait a bit more to be sure that we are in compliance with everything and that all of the rule and regulations are carefully followed. I know it must seem like a headache to a student that would like to test within his or her own country, but look we can be patient - think of what that poor man must have gone through when he set up Delta City - just imagine what that must of have been like ! ! !

The really great news is that once we have complied with all the regulations, and of course if there are not any more new regulations that go into effect, we will actually have the educational testing equipment on the premises. Once that happens, the test delivery company is very fast and efficient - then things will start to move very fast.

In the meantime if your test dates are coming up it is probably in your best interests to register in another country. For some strange reason, Hungary, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Romania are able to provide GMAT testing services. Remember once testing opens in Serbia, if there is time and seat availability, you can change your testing location and you will be able to take your exam right here just like other people in other countries!

Dear Elz,

Thank you for this extensive reply, as you described it, we will be lucky if the equipment is set up by Easter.

I'm planing on taking the test around the end of November , begining of December, i guess you can't estimate will it be all ready by then?

As for the test center in Croatia, there isn't any , i've contacted the IT Center there, and IRO, who i beleive used to administer the test, and they have said that they don't do it anymore, so thats another bummer .Now Hungary is the next choice.

Well today I noticed that there was a phone number for Croatia...now remember..all we have to do is get this equipment out of the hands of the bureaucracy and we can be set up in a few days...so now it is all up to our fearless leaders...

Well today I noticed that there was a phone number for Croatia...now remember..all we have to do is get this equipment out of the hands of the bureaucracy and we can be set up in a few days...so now it is all up to our fearless leaders...

Well we must have faith in our leaders, if not us who then...

Actually, the phone number listed on the mba.com site is for the UK, i believe it is the automated machine for scheduling the exam, for all countries, for people that want to schedule by phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mickey,

We are hoping for mid-January. Now, that we have been thoroughly checked and charged the maximum amount in every area possible, we are awaiting the arrival of the grant funds to pay for customs, taxes, and other superfluous charges that have been squeezed out of our organization. Although the funds have been traced from the European point of origin directly to our bank account, the bank is still in a state of denial about having received the funds. Isn't it funny about the how unique banking is here? It is so special!

Once this is point is cleared up, we will be able to begin to actually bring the equipment into our organization and start to set it up, test it, and get ready to provide GMAT services for students. You know, the young people, the future, the next generation of young Serbian business people who have sharpened their skills by studying throughout the world....as opposed to the wonderful organizers of our current circumstances? Ican't wait to see this next generation of young people in about ten years - hopefully here in Serbia assuming leadership position kicking...oh well that is another story.

So probably mid-January. We are sure hoping for that date and it is great to see Serbia on the GMAT map. Even though no one else seems to notice or care - this is really great progress for the student population in Serbia

Dear Mickey,

We are hoping for mid-January. Now, that we have been thoroughly checked and charged the maximum amount in every area possible, we are awaiting the arrival of the grant funds to pay for customs, taxes, and other superfluous charges that have been squeezed out of our organization. Although the funds have been traced from the European point of origin directly to our bank account, the bank is still in a state of denial about having received the funds. Isn't it funny about the how unique banking is here? It is so special!

Once this is point is cleared up, we will be able to begin to actually bring the equipment into our organization and start to set it up, test it, and get ready to provide GMAT services for students. You know, the young people, the future, the next generation of young Serbian business people who have sharpened their skills by studying throughout the world....as opposed to the wonderful organizers of our current circumstances? Ican't wait to see this next generation of young people in about ten years - hopefully here in Serbia assuming leadership position kicking...oh well that is another story.

So probably mid-January. We are sure hoping for that date and it is great to see Serbia on the GMAT map. Even though no one else seems to notice or care - this is really great progress for the student population in Serbia

Hello Elz,

So that's a definite no for a GMAT-December in Beograd?

Oh well, atleast the next generations can benefit from it :XmasROFL:

By the way, i see that you have put up the dates on mba.com, so i guess it is pretty certain that from the 15th of January there will be a testing center in BG. Good for us.

Dear Mickey,

I am afraid that December does not look promising. The paperology is just a terrible hold up on things here. It is quite a disappoint to us as well. However, I think that it is very commendable that you comment on the fact that future generations will benefit. In fact, that is the essence of one of the greatest problems that can exist - when no one thinks of future generations.

I really wish that you could have tested in your own country. I am so sorry that it did not work out for you, but please keep thinking of others and when you get that wonderful MBA education, you know where your help is needed the most, so please don't forget Serbia!

Elz

• 2 weeks later...

GMAT is an admissions test to enter graduate studies in business - usually MBA. It does not have a relationship with recognition of your diploma. However, if you hold a four year diploma from a faculty that is recognized by the Ministry of Education, your diploma will be recognized. Is that what you hold? If you hold a three year diploma as part of the ongoing Bologna Process, it gets more complicated at this time.

Elz

Yes, the three year diploma will require more extensive evaluation as it is a new program. However, it certainly does not rule out possibilities - it is just not as "cut and dried" as the time-tested four year program. These are questions of equivalency rather than accreditation. I certainly would not just write off graduate school possibilities in the United States. Like any new program, a grad school admission officer is going to take a really good look at the transcript to see the courses.

One of the first things that we would like to do is to have a look at the program and open a discussion with various graduate admission departments about the course of study. Here is how I look at it - the countries that are signatories to the Bologna process are at different points of implementation with a goal of 2010. In the same way, US universities are also a different points in evaluation. For example, US programs that are academic homes to many European students are more likely to be very involved in the evaluation process whereas departments that do not see so many EU diploma holders may be less engaged in the process.

It is just as I said, a bit more complex - schools are quite used to seeing three year diplomas from the UK, but your three year diploma from Serbia may be something that an admission expert is looking at for the first time.

Thus, you can expect some some questions about the program so that grad school can learn more about it. As time goes on, this area will be better defined, but Bologna represents a very broad change - time will be a factor.

Elz